6 - Dante

No one asked him any questions on their way home and that was not a good sign. They hadn't bothered wrapping his wound after pulling that bolt out of his side, either. They had tied his hands, as if that would make a difference. If he really intended to keep him down, they'd need more than irons. They escorted him home in silence, only speaking in whispers once they knew they were far enough to avoid his enhanced senses.

He hadn't resisted them, though, when they pulled him up and manhandled him. It would have been a piece of cake to get rid of them, realistically, and they knew that. Yet, they still came in low numbers. If they really feared him escaping, they would have brought more people. They would have brought Dominic.

He had been too tired and too sore to even consider attempting anything. Why would he, anyway? He had done what he intended to do, and she was safe. Whatever happened to him now, he'd have to handle. At least, he hadn't been the one to kill Marcus. Given the circumstances, they wouldn't have been able to blame him for it. Marcus and his pack had ganged up on him, not the other way around. Sure, they wouldn't have killed him, but he would claim he couldn't be sure of that. He would have gladly taken the blame, too, if it wasn't because so many people had witnessed what had happened. Part of him, the primal part, the core of him that responded to his animal instincts was intimately linked to the bond he now shared with Scarlett, wanted to simply eliminate them all. If there was no evidence to lead back to her, she would be completely safe. Though maybe it was a bit late for that. If he was to take that route, he should have done that instead of grabbing her and running for it.

The caves' entrances were guarded, Were soldiers standing at attention as they approached.

It was cold inside, the opening wide letting the cold winter air blow inside freely. Only at night did they close the shutters. The cold is good for training, their mentors had always said.

They crossed the wide space, past vehicles, and the neatly lined gear along the walls, under the plaques with their names. Past the benches, and the training mats.

As the numerous eyes who had gathered to watch his most recent humiliation followed his advance into the inner passageways of the Darkshadow den, Dante couldn't help but search for that spot on the wall. Marcus's plaque hung over his clothes' hanger, his gear now gone. Soon, Shigeru would take his place.

He started turning right, towards the stairs that led to the Dominic's rooms, but he was unceremoniously pulled around in the opposite direction. Shoved down the ramps and into the lower levels, the light fading away as the only sunbeams that penetrated here came from deeply carved shafts to the surface.

'Where are we going?' he found himself asking, and then kicked himself for being stupid. There was only one place they could be going in that direction, and it wasn't the food stores or the armoury. 'I want to see Dominic,' he rushed to say, as they walked deeper into the mountain. Their Prime might have been behind the situation with Marcus yesterday, but confronted directly, he'd have no choice but to comply by the Clan laws. Marcus' old pack, though, could do right about anything under the cover of confinement and interrogation, though. Did Dominic even know he had been apprehended.

'Dominic will see you when he's ready,' Shigeru said, now in his human form.

'I didn't kill Marcus, there is no need to—'

Shigeru stopped in his tracks and turned around to face him, a snarl in his voice.

'You didn't kill him, but you protected the one who did. Why? What is that human to you that you would go to such lengths to protect her?'

He leaned into his body and sniffed him audibly, grimacing.

'You smell like her, but not enough—you didn't fuck her.'