Inescapable

The dark foyer and suffocating, heavy laden with the muttering voices of other sentient patrons whose faces are shadowed in the thick fog lifting from the floor. I cannot collect coherent thoughts as I am maneuvered through the crowd and through an almost unseen doorway by an unknown force.

Tripping over my feet I stumble in the wood chips bracing against the velvet lined wall, a strong hand grips my elbow righting my stance, i brush them off and turn to thank them but as my eyes adjust in the dim light I see no one.

Delusional I conclude shaking my head and slinking down the cramped passageway towards the siren like embrace of tinkering music. A doorway comes into my view and the air fills with the smells of caramel popcorn, candyfloss, roasted meats and stewed fruits. the music grows louder, other foreign sounds blending into the original piece, elephants and hooting monkeys a cheering crowd even.

I hasten my pace in anticipation, warm saliva filling my mouth as I come to a stop inches from the doors intricate surface. I place my ear to the deep mahogony and conclude there indeed must be some magical dark carnival awaiting on the other side, my fingers wrap around the brass door knob twisting and pushing open the heavy door.

Dust covered, windowless, not a single spider inhabits the long abandoned cobwebs dangling from the light fixture, my eyes zero in on the lone inhabitant of the room. A phonograph spinning a scratched record which I now realise is the source of the faux circus.

"It isn't real"

I half awaken from my slumber and I can't open my eyes, my body is still asleep and I cannot move, suddenly the duvet flung on my body is overbearing, claustrophobic and I panic, but no matter how hard I try I can't climb the brick wall keeping me from coming into full consciousness. An inescapable dream.