Chapter 1 - The Plea

The first rays of dawn timidly pierced through the tattered thatch of our humble cottage. I stirred from uneasy dreams to the rhythmic pitter-patter of raindrops splashing upon my face. Cool rivulets traced paths down my cheeks, soaking into my quilt. The musty scent of damp earth mingled with the earthy aroma of last night's embers, wafting through the small, cramped space where we sought solace.

I could hear muffled voices of my parents drifting through the thin walls. I strained to make out their words, knowing their discussion centered on the fate of our village. I shifted beneath the coarse, threadbare blanket, their once vibrant colors now muted by years of use. I stared at the roof above that creaked wearily, as if echoing the weariness etched upon my father's brow whenever talk turned to the kingdom's woes.

The muffle continued and with a resigned sigh, I pushed aside the damp quilt and swung my legs over the edge of the makeshift cot. My feet found the chilled embrace of the earthen floor and it sent a shiver up my spine. I approached the doorway slowly, listening in on the chatter that took place outside of my room.

"The king must hear us, Elara is right," my mother's gentle yet resolute, reached me first. "Alnwick can't endure another season without aid. The fields are barren, and the sickness... it's taking our neighbors, Robert."

My father's response was a deep rumble, weighed with concern and duty. "And if we anger the king? We've seen enough of what happens to those who defy him. We've lived under his rule for too long to risk everything now."

Their voices rose and fell like the tide, a familiar ebb and flow of conviction and caution. I hesitated for a moment before stepping into the kitchen where they stood, their faces planted with worry.

"Mother, Father," I began, my voice raspy from my slumber. "We shall go to the castle. The king needs to see the faces of those suffering under his rule. He needs to understand the desperation in our village."

My father turned to me, his eyes brimming with pride and concern. "Elara, my dear, it's too dangerous. The king–"

"I must try," I insisted, meeting my father's gaze with unwavering resolve. "If we don't speak up, who will? Alnwick needs a voice, and I will be that voice." I expressed, silence settling between us.

I knew it was risky to plead to the king, but something had to be done. For years the king had neglected the town of Alnwick. The king, ensconced in his castle, had turned a blind eye to our village's struggles. Fields that once flourished now lay fallow under the indifferent gaze of the palace walls. Our pleas for aid had fallen on deaf ears, drowned out by the decadence and excess within. Within the last six months an outbreak of Netherflux had spread throughout the village. How many times had I watched families suffer, their livelihoods decimated by a plague that spread unchecked while the king reconciled in his luxuries? Today, I would carry our village's burden to the throne, demanding accountability for the suffering he had allowed to fester unchecked.

"Elara, before we go," my mother's voice broke through the silence. "Take these eggs to the neighbors. Perrin's father passed in the night, taken by the Netherflux."

I nodded solemnly, my heart sinking at the news.

 Perrin, was a close friend of mine that I grew up with as we were neighbors. In fact, he was my first kiss. Well, it was an arranged kiss by his doing. We were fourteen years old and he was embarrassed to have never kissed a girl before, so he asked me. I agreed, vowing that it would only be for the sake of his boyhood.

When we were fifteen, Perrin and I discovered a hidden garden on the outskirts of the village. It was nestled away behind a dense thicket of trees. It became our secret haven, a place where we could escape the troubles of daily life and the burdens that weighed heavily on our young shoulders. The gardens vibrant flowers never seemed to wither, no matter the season. We would spend countless afternoons there, sharing our dreams, and finding peace in the serene beauty of our secret refuge. It was a place where the world felt right, if only for a little while.