𝙰 𝚁𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙲𝚘𝚘𝚔𝚒𝚎𝚜

Amy Fowler:

(An hour after Amy's call with Atlas)

"Those cookies look delicious, don't they, Emmy?" I asked, basking in the scent of melted chocolate chips and sugar. The oven door was open, and I took the cookies gingerly, placing them on the counter. Then, I made Emmy pose with me as I took a picture to annoy Atlas later.

Suddenly, the door opened, and I almost dropped my phone. Emmy smiled, and when I saw Ryle entering, so did I. He had a bag of groceries in his hand. We'd started living together a while ago, and I seemed to grow much more comfortable with him. There were some times when we argued and he got angry, and I won't lie, it sort of made me scared. But the fact that he'd been able to control his anger and leave before things escalated always calmed me down.

Ryle grinned at me and Emmy, but I thought he looked a little nervous. I tilted my head, and raised my eyebrows.

"Hey." he said, quietly.

"Hey," I replied. "What's up?"

"W-what could be up? I mean, why would you suspect me? Have I-"

"Chill, it was just a casual question. But you seemed to be taking it more than that, hmm?"

A bead of sweat trickled down his forehead. He looked almost guilty.

Something was up.

"Come on" I said.

"What?"

"Tell me."

"What?"

"What's happening."

"What?" he spoke, prolonging the word. I narrowed my eyes. I'd have to change my strategy.

"You know I love you, right?"

"Yup. Yeah. Of course I do. What sort of question-"

"You know I'd never hide anything from you, right?"

"Mmhm."

He swallowed a lump in his throat, eyeing me warily. I walked up to him, letting Emmy inhale the cookies one by one and pretending I didn't notice. I leaned my face close to his and he looked like he'd have a heart attack. His eyes involuntarily flicked to the grocery bag.

Bingo.

I snatched it from him, spilling the contents on the floor. He almost shouted and bent down to pick up the stuff. My eyes fell on a small bag that had also spilled out and I snatched it before he could.

"Um, g-give that back, please."

"Why? Is it a gift for me?"

"No, of course not. I mean, yes. But not-"

I got the reply I wanted and my hand went into the bag, taking out a small velvet box. I opened it, a little suspicious.

Inside was a...ring.

A ring.

Phew, I thought. At least it's not a bomb or anything.

Ryle looked at me weirdly.

"Is it for me?" I asked again. He nodded and I removed it from the casing, putting it on my finger. He just gaped.

"What?"

"Why did you put the ring on?"

"Because rings are supposed to be worn. Why?"

He didn't reply.

"Well, do you want some cookies? Emmy and I made them together."

"Amy."

"Yes?"