Prologue

As old Hollywood families go, the illustriousness of the Cay name cannot be rivalled.

The Cay's legacy goes back over a century in Hollywood. In the late 1800s, Tobius Cay, the first established Cay, a hard-working timber labourer, contributed materials to help build the first subdivisions in Hollywood.

Next, Andrew Cay, Tobius's youngest brother worked alongside H. J. Whitley in real estate to develop Hollywood into a wealthy, popular area.

Andrew's son Gordie Cay, who grew up alongside Hollywood, was intrigued by the developments of entertainment and chose to enter show business. His debonair looks ensured that he became a prime-time television superstar. Throughout the 1940s and 50s, you couldn't turn on a television set without seeing the face of Gordie.

As the programs he was on gained popularity, his face was increasingly seen on the front pages of newspapers chronicling his daily ongoings. As Gordie grew older and expanded his family, he passed on his stardom to his daughter June who had been in the spotlight since before she was born when the news of her conception from Gordie's elopement with an unknown woman made its way around Hollywood.

Catapulted into fame, June first appeared on television when she was four years old. Accompanying her father to work, the producers saw her as the perfect Hollywood child and pleaded for her to make an appearance alongside her father on the show that he was guest-starring in at the time. June's hair was a creamy blond with rich undertones of light browns and blonds that made it shine bright even in the dark. This paired with her light hazel eyes and sun-kissed appearing skin garnered her the nickname 'golden child' by casting directors who likened her appearance to the sun.

Two years after her first TV appearance, June landed her first role, playing Goldie (named after her physical qualities), the youngest daughter of 8 kids on a coming-of-age sitcom. She remained in this role for 8 years until her father's death encouraged her to pursue her blossoming movie career. At the age of eighteen, June had dinned with diplomats, vacationed with Hollywood heartthrobs, and been the recipient of three Oscar awards, adding to the fame that came with the Cay name.

Now, at the age of 52, June was working on her 78th film, playing Susan Writter, an intelligence analyst who is caught in an espionage plot.

"Have they phoned yet", June asked her young assistant Jessie. It was the last Friday of the month and she had a standing appointment.

"Not yet ma'am" Jessie said with a southern twang.

June had met Jessie on the set of a previous movie of hers two years ago. The Texas native was on holiday in LA to visit his cousin, an aspiring actor where Jessie accompanied him to set. Short a few extras, John, Jessie's cousin, convinced him to take part in the shoot. While John was nice but cocky and eager to suck up to larger talent, Jessie was hardworking and moral. 

When an extra tripped over some cords left on the ground by a crew member falling into a set wall and knocking it down, ruining the shot, Jessie ran over to help them up and had some choice words for the director who was threatening the extra if this puts the movie behind schedule. He then helped to clean up the cords and reset the knocked-down wall. June who watched the entire debacle go down from the stage door she had just walked through, was surprised by Jessie's actions and offered him a job as her assistant. 

Her last assistant was just using her to gain a role in the movie she was working on so Jessie's lack of care for her world greatly appealed to her.

"They know that I am needed on screen in an hour. If they don't phone now then I'm not going to have the chance to truly talk to them for another month". June rubbed her face feeling exhausted. She had been on set for 20 hours yesterday, only wrapping up around 5 a.m. and had to be back on set at 10 a.m. today for wardrobe and makeup.