❦27❦

─────── • ❥ • ───────

One of the only classes Mark had alone with Huang Renjun was Social, Political and Health Education, or SPHE, for short. Once a week on a Friday.

He didn't dread this class or anything, as it wasn't graded and tended to be a space to share opinions and feelings — or listen to the teacher beg them to share such things. Only the pick-mes and girls messing around ever contributed, and that was fine by him since his feelings on this school were not positive.

"Ah, here you are," Renjun hummed as he nearly wandered by him and took a seat to his left. The tables were set up in squares and four people could group up per table. The rule initially was two girls and two boys, but nobody listened to it and the teacher gave up trying to enforce it. To his right he already had Chenle and the fourth slot was usually a new, brave soul hoping to chat up Renjun every week.

"Hi," Mark nodded curtly and leaned on his palm, scribbling on his geography notebook since he'd started a page of terrible pictures during one of Jeno's torturous classes.

"Can I sit here?" A girl asked shyly as she stood over the trio, books in her arms and hair tied back into a loose ponytail. Mark gave her a face a once-over and decided he didn't really recognise her. Her hazel eyes were unthreatening and she exuded the false calm of someone trying to be relaxed when they weren't.

"Sure," Chenle smiled softly and moved his books closer to him on the table. He'd seemed distracted earlier when he and Mark had been chatting before Renjun arrived, and the elder had to remind himself to ask if he was okay in private later. That was, after all, why Chenle had reached out to him in the first place.

"Does anyone know what the topic for today is?" The girl asked, and it struck Mark that he either hadn't caught her name or she hadn't shared it. This one wasn't as promising as others.

"Hopefully not another debate on our views of the political climate," Chenle groaned and splayed his hands out in front of him, leaning back to roll out his neck. "If we all get into that awful argument again, I'm going to die."

"Teach learned her lesson," Renjun chuckled mischievously and spun a pen over and between his fingers in perpetual motion. It mesmerised Mark a little. "There's no way we're doing that again. Jaem told me his class did study tips and types of learning and all that crap. Wake me up if I fall asleep," he nudged Mark's shoulder. The raven-haired teen jolted, having gone into a daydream and agreeing all the same, though not sure what for.

As if on queue, the teacher did walk in and, in a fluster, dumped all her stuff on the desk and quickly called out the role. Everyone slumped into their seats and spoke in low whispers as she explained that they were, indeed, going over study tips. Mark's eyes glazed over and he stared at the front of the room as his mind wandered.