Chapter 1: Happy Birthday

Lacey's POV:

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUUUU!" my friends finish singing. They took me breakfast to kickstart my 25th birthday. Ember planned the little get together since she is my bestest friend since we were in diapers. We grew up together, graduated high school together, went to college together, and now we both share an apartment together in Washington D.C. The rest of the people here are friends we met in college. There's Jenna, Nicki, and Addison. Jenna is a little taller and has medium length blonde hair. Nicki is around my height (Maybe slightly taller) with curly black hair. Addison is my height (about 5'4) with long brown hair and perfectly tanned skin all the time. Then, there's Ember. My best friend has long natural red hair and is also around my size. We all lived in the same dorm throughout college and grew on each other. Though, Nicki was the same major as me too. 

"Blow out your candle and make a wish!" Jenna yells. Truly, I didn't know what to wish for. I am a teacher so I could wish for the kids to be little angels everyday, but I know that won't last. I could wish for a great fortune to come into my life. Although, I think what I really want to wish for is some type of change in my life. Something that excites me. I lean forward and blow on the singular candle that was placed in a stack of chocolate chip pancakes hearing the girls applaud. 

"Okay open my gift first!" Addison says pushing her gift onto my lap. I pull open the ribbon around the small box and inside was a new pair of earrings. They were small hoops with some pearls on them. I had a pair similar, but lost them a while ago. "Thanks Addison!" I lean over and give her a hug.

"Alright, do mine next!" Jenna says handing me her gift. The box was slightly bigger. I ripped open the wrapping paper and it revealed a show box. I lifted the lid and saw a new pair of small black ankle boots with a chunky heal. "Wow Jenna. Where am I going to wear these to?" 

"I think I can help with that one..." Ember says walking over and sitting next to me. "I wanted to get you something I knew you would love." She hands me an envelope. I open the envelope and it is simply just a card. When I open the card, I see a picture of Ember and I at a why don't we concert a while back which makes me smile. I finish reading it. Then, I flip the little flap and see a concert ticket sticking out. "What's this Em?" I look up at her questionably. "Well, I know your favorite band used to be why don't we and they broke up, but why don't we relive some memories. Daniel Seavey is playing at Club Solo tonight. He was in the band and it could be fun to go out tonight to celebrate you." Ember finishes. "Plus we are all going!" Nicki chimes in. 

I sit silent for a minute. Partying and dancing really isn't my scene. I haven't gone out like that since my early years in college. I do miss hearing some of the Why don't we songs live. 

"What the hell! It's my birthday; let's do it!" I confirm as my friends cheer and give me a hug. "Hold on, you still have my gift to open." Nicki passed her gift to me. I put the tissue paper out of the bag and smile. "I know my gift won't top that but." I lift a picture frame of all of together during our freshman year of college. We were all out at one of the first parties of the semester and we took our picture. Also in the bag was friendship bracelets with all our names on it for all of us to wear. "I know it's more of Taylor Swift concert thing, but I think it will be fun." I pass out the bracelets to the girls and notice something while putting mine on. 

"Nicki, what's this?"  I gesture referring my phone number on the back of mine. "Lace, you never know where you'll meet somebody. That's a different way to hand out your number to someone quick and easy. Plus, Addison's has one too." Addison turns over her bracelet shocked. "We don't need boyfriends to be happy Nicki." I reply. "We know, but it doesn't hurt to have a little fun. Ember responds as we all start laughing. 

*That night*

I finish putting on my black sparkly leather skirt and a deep pink tank top. I finished the look with my new earrings, boots, and slipping on the friendship bracelets. I already put my makeup on making sure that my eyes will pop the most. 

"Ember you ready?" I yell walking into our living room. "Almost, I'll be out in a sec!" She yells back. I finish getting my few things I need into my belt bag so I don't have to bring a purse with me. Ember joins me in the living room just in time. "The others are going to meet us there. Let's get going." 

We walk to the metro station which is fairly close to the apartment. We only need to go up a few blocks to get to Club Solo. However, wearing these heels will defiantly hurt our feet by the time we get there. These boots were in fact not made for walking. We get to the club and immediately get in. We showed up a little early because it's standing room only and we wanted the best spots. Not even five minutes later, Nicki, Jenna, and Addison join us. We all get something to drink while we are waiting for it to get closer to start time. As we see more people filing in, we take our rightful place where we want to stand in the front. The opening act comes out and sings some familiar favorites and some of their songs which I was vibing too. My friend Jenna got us all another drink and pushed her way back to our spot. 

Daniel Seavey came out running and starting with one of his solo orginals. "Come on Lace, dance with me!" Em says jumping up and down with me. I am not much of a dancer and I feel like I can be pretty awkward about it sometimes. I take another sip of my drink when I hear Daniel start to sing "Fallin." I. Love. This. Song. I start dancing and jumping and whipping my hair around. This was a Why Don't We Song and I know every single word to it. As I am jumping around, I notice Daniel crossing the stage to the side where I was standing in front of it behind the barrier. 

Daniel kneels down to where he is directly in front of me singing "I feel so reckless." I look at him and finish the next line "Oh you're makin me, makin me, makin me give in. Before I even realise what's happening, he jumps off the stage rushes over to me standing on the barricade with the microphone singing "Oh Baby" and points the microphone in my direction as I continue singing "I can feel the rush of adrenaline." He pulls the microphone back "I'm not scared to jump if you want me to." Then, he does the microphone back and forth between us. 

"Let's just fall-"

"In love-"

"For the hell of it." Daniel stand back up tall.

"Maybe, we'll just keep fallin." Daniel leans back down holding the microphone in between us. Everything is happening so fast I can't even process not doing anything, but singing and looking into Daniel's eyes, mimicking the swaying we are in sync on 

"I can feel the rush of adrenaline

I'm not scared to jump cause I want to" Daniel stand up straight once more holding the mic for himself.

"Let's just fall in love-" Daniel places his hand on my cheek for a brief moment.  "-for the hell of it."

"Maybe, we'll just keep fallin." Daniel sings smiling and backing up making his way towards the other side of the crowd.

My breathing is heavy and I am trying to catch my breath while feeling people shaking my shoulders behind me. Holy Shit, what just happened.