Chapter 21 | A hole in the wall

"I wanted proof that he's a cannibal!" Jackson screamed at the officers.

"You made that up, boy" Alexander replied.

"Alex" Mary whispered and hugged him. "Can we go now?"

Alexander looked at the policemen. Officer Flick nodded.

"But don't leave the town, professor. We would like to continue questioning tomorrow."

"Of course" Casmid looked as they left with Jackson. He grabbed Mary's hand and they both went inside the cabin.

"I'm sorry you had to go through this, pumpkin."

"You couldn't know" she went inside the bedroom and took her grey pyjamas out of the closet.

"Are you hungry?" The man asked. Mary nodded and disappeared inside the bathroom to take a shower. Alexander started preparing an early dinner. He was anxious all the time while cooking. He knew that tomorrow he'll get arrested. He had to be responsible for his actions. But what about Mary? She'll only have Lucy. Who's going to protect her? He took out his phone and made a call.

"Co?" Stefan picked up.

"I need you to do something for me..."

"What?"

Alexander looked at the bathroom door, still closed.

"They're probably going to arrest me tomorrow. Please, take care of Mary."

Stefan thought for a moment.

"Okay" he responded. "I can do this..."

"But Stefan" the man suddenly interrupted. "Please be there for her. Let me know if anything is wrong."

"No worry, kid."

That's when the bathroom door opened and Mary headed to the bedroom with wet hair. Alexander smiled. She was so adorable.

"Thank you" he said to Stefan. "It means a lot."

Mary walked up to the man and hugged him from behind. He hung up the phone and took the chicken off the frying pan.

"What are we eating? Or maybe who are we eating?" She giggled.

"Just chicken" he replied and put his hand on hers. "Can we talk?"

The girl buried her face in his back.

"What do you want to talk about?" She asked.

Alexander turned around and put his hands on her cheeks. She was so pretty.

"The police questioned me about Jackson" he said. "They want to continue tomorrow. It means that I'll most likely get arrested."

Mary looked him in the eyes. Her smile faded away.

"Alex" she whispered. "I don't want to lose you. I can give you an alibi and then..."

"No, Mary" he kissed her. She started crying. Her name from his mouth sounded odd. He never called her 'Mary'. "There's nothing you can do. I need to be responsible."

"Please don't leave me" she begged.

"I won't" the man's eyes got watery too. She was too innocent for this kind of pain. "We'll just be apart for a little."

***

That chicken was the saddest meal of Mary's life. The thought of losing her Alex was shattering her heart.

"Are you okay, pumpkin?" He broke the silence.

"Yeah" she nodded. "I'm good."

They were laying in bed watching a series together. The girl couldn't focus, though. She was upset. Alexander hugged her tight and started to pet her head. The feeling of his warm skin was awesome. His touch comforted her.