1) 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕯𝖊𝖛𝖎𝖑'𝖘 𝕯𝖆𝖚𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖊𝖗

Poppy pushed through the doors of her favorite place in the world.

Only for her heart to drop at the unexpected sight.

Her soul screamed out in horror as the pungent fumes of the fire assaulted her senses.

She closed her eyes, ready for the flames to devour her completely.

However, a tender grasp pulled her out of the devouring flames, slowly but steadily, whispering in sweet symphonies– "You do not possess the ability to die, Poppy."

Poppy opened her eyes to see a bright, blinding white light in front of her. "What are you?" She asked, heart beating frantically.

"I am your father, Poppy," the angel of death said in a serious tone.

She looked at the mystical being, her eyes widening in surprise as she repeated what he said. "I've never met my father," she spoke afterward, almost in a hushed tone.

Her father looked her up and down.

She stared back into his eyes, flashbacks of how many times she was supposed to be dead running through her mind. "It was you, wasn't it," she asked him.

His blank expression twisted into a grin, "It was."

She hugged him tight, an unknown feeling settling in. She could feel the void inside her filling in, "I missed you, Dad." she sobbed into the hug.

She felt his skeletal fingers running through her hair as he hugged her tightly. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect your mother," he said. "I could only save one of you; this was her choice."

She tightened the hug, with a tear running down her cheek, she said

"It must have been very hard for you."

Ignoring the thoughts haunting him, death replied to his daughter, "It's time for you to join the realm."

She looked at him and said, "I don't think I'm ready."

"You are more than ready, sweetheart. You just do not realize it. I've been watching over you to know you are far more than ready," he said, patting her head.

"But what about my friends? And my cat. I can't abandon her," she said, unsure of what to do.

"They'll forget about you, like you had forgotten about me and your mother," he revealed the bitter truth. "You'll be forgotten, yet your presence will linger in their world as mine remained in yours."

"About your cat, you see..." he started his sentence, and she instantly thought about the worst. She pushed him slowly, ready to refuse his offer, when he spoke again. "Your cat is much more than that. Your cat is a demon."

Poppy looked behind her and saw a mysterious figure approaching. As it came closer, she saw her cat emerging from the darkness.

"My little Toby is a demon?" She asks carefully as her beloved kitty steps into the light and rubs himself against her leg.

With a few turns around, it paused, its eyes staring at her.

The cat let out a small meow before transforming into a nice, young lad, but old enough to be her big brother. " I'd appreciate it if you'd stop calling me Toby. That's not my name," he said in a low and husky voice.

"Then who are you?" Poppy asked, perplexed at all the truths that were unfolding.

"He is your protector, sweetheart," the angel of death allowed himself to intervene in the conversation.

She looked back at her father. "My protector?"

"That I am. My name is Zane." His slight grin and smokey eyes made her blush deep red at the sudden realization of all the things that cat had seen over the last ten years.

"You never wondered why he's always sleeping at your door? Or why he never walks around you when you're wearing a skirt? Or why he always sits with his back to you whenever you're doing anything he is not supposed to see?" her father replied, sensing her discomfort.

Poppy smiled sheepishly, her cheeks still turning red in embarrassment.

"And That's not all," Zane smirked, raising his brows at her. "I also remember that time you told me all your secrets cuz you couldn't sleep."

"That's enough, Zane!" Her father admonished him.

"Yeah, Zane!" Poppy let out an exasperated sigh

Zane looked at Poppy with laughter he could not contain.

"Doesn't that mean Zane will come to the realm with us?" she asked, more relieved about the cat now.

Her father looked at Zane, who then replied, "If it pleases my lady."

Poppy glanced at Zane before turning back to her dad. "He'll still protect me, right?"

"That's his job. He won't leave your side no matter what," her father replied. "Now, I can answer the rest of your questions after we get to the realm."

"Shall we go now, my lady?" Zane asked, offering his arm to Poppy with his sweet gaze locked on her.

"Now that I am here, Zane, I think I'll lead my daughter to the realm," her father said, holding Poppy's hand and leading her away from the man she could possibly be interested in.

"Very well, my lord," Zane said following them.

With a flick of her father's fingers, Zane froze where he stood. His blood seemed to suffocate him as it circulated his veins and arteries all over his pale body. It only lasted a few seconds before he finally turned back into the feline he once was.

Message from the Elpida Community: Thanks to all those who helped making our first prompt; @gremlinsbookstash @LORAINEJD @reader_SecretAgent @Tricky_minds @AprilJester and @_abhipreeti_