Laying Bare With My Scars

43

She was finally his—in every literal sense and he was going to make it official soon.

The whole syndicate had gotten wind of their fling, and to make it obvious, Kieran had deliberately started to express his love in full view of people. He never hesitated to pull her close and kiss the oxygen out of her, never hesitated to put hickeys on her bare skin. Every member of the outfit now deemed Adeline as their mother. Their conduct was polite and considerate toward her, even those rough tat-bodies that she presumed would never know the meaning of politeness were behaving sweetly with her. They treated her with so much love, care and respect that Adeline started to feel pampered and wanted. It was so atypical for her to gain so much attention but she wasn't complaining, not when the empty hole in her heart was filling up.

With a faint smile, she fiddled with her wedding ring that Kieran slipped into her finger during the enthronement ceremony. He announced their wedding on the same day, which was going to be held tomorrow. At this moment, she was sitting in the car, waiting for Kieran to dismiss his men and settle in the driving seat. Kieran told her they had to visit a place before they make things official. She asked him about it but he didn't spill much.

After a long interval, Adeline's lost gaze broke from the full moon and flitted toward Kieran as he closed the gap. He opened the door to his side and hopped in. Instinctively, Adeline endured a flurry of emotions as his presence took over the ride. Ever since they became a couple, she had begun to feel an irresistible attraction for him. Everything about him called out to her. His dense darkish hair, his intense greyish eyes, his thin, kissable lips, the playful glow over his features. Every element of him messed her heartbeat up.

"Is my fiancé done with gawking at me?" Kieran sneered with a small smirk cracking as he pressed the 'start engine' button. Adeline chewed her upper lips before smiling wide. She leaned closer, placed her elbow on the centre console and pressed her chin on her knuckles.

"I think your fiancé is not willing to take her gaze off you anytime soon," She teased back and noticed how his eyes sharpened in mischief. Butterflies rushed into her stomach and squeezed her muscles tightly as he tilted his face toward her and bent over. Their faces only a few inches away from merging together.

"Then perhaps I won't be able to drive the car till she decides she is done distracting me," Kieran's eyes darkened with every round of her face. She shuddered under his greedy gaze and to make it even worse, he was leaning closer. Not even a few blinks later, she looked away, blushing like a sparrow.

"Stop, y...you are intense," She grumbled and felt her cheeks burning like sunlight. To which, Kieran grinned and brought her hand to his mouth, pressing a soft peck over her knuckle.

"Always for you, love," Adeline's heart was picking up notches and before it could burst with a break-failing pace, he placed her hand on his thigh and pulled her car in motion.

The car was headed toward the city from the hills. Adeline was mesmerised by the view as they declined toward the road. Her eyes had hearts and Kieran couldn't help but extract a giggle out of her every time he hit the gas to full potential. It was after the first time in years he laughed so freely. His rich voice sounded like a lullaby to his own ears. He believed he would never be able to hear it, but all because of her, he had begun to live again.

Their journey was about half an hour. He pulled over inside a tower's private parking lot. Two bulky men marched ahead and opened Kieran's door. The other lad was about to open Adeline's door when Kieran snapped at him. He rounded the car and did the deed himself.

Adeline bit the insides of her lip and alighted the car, holding his hand. He snaked his arm around her waist and led her toward the elevator. The guards went back to their position and the elevator slid shut. Adeline wrung her fingers and threw a furtive glance at him out of love. He had been proving her right through his chivalrous gestures.