Chapter 42

Still high on sex, Apollo and I roll out of bed and head for the shower, rubbing a mint gel into each others skin until we hear the loud calls of Archer shouting from Hayley's room.

We both stop immediately and run. I grab Apollos bathrobe on the way and he grabs a pair of boxers as we run through the bedroom towards the sound of Archers cries.

We enter Hayley's room, flinging the door into the wall when we see her on the floor, clutching her stomach as she's doubled over in pain.

'It's still early?' I say to Apollo, not sure what's happening.

His eyes moves from Hayley up to Archer, not needing to say the words that Archer already suspects.

'What's happening?' I ask them over Hayley's screams.

'Her body is rejecting the transformation.' Is all Apollo says as he stands there watching, unable to stop it from happening.

'What does that mean?' I ask already knowing the answer.

'She's dying' Archer says in a small voice as he drops to his knees, holding Hayley's hand.

'What can we do?' I ask

'Nothing' Apollo tells me

'But... there must be something we can do?'

'Just be there for her' he tells me.

Archer scoops Hayley up in his arms and places her in the middle of her bed, while pain rips through her body. The three of us stay with Hayley as she convulses on the bed until the sun sets.

'I have to go' Archer says as he feels the change start to take over his body.

'We'll stay with her' Apollo tells his brother, giving him a weak reassuring smile.

As Archer heads for the door he turns back and looks at Hayley one more time with a tear in his eye before he disappears.

I move closer to the bed, sitting on the edge as I reach out to take Hayley's hand.
A scream bellows out of her as her body starts to shake uncontrollably.

'It's ok Hayley, I'm here. I'm here for you' I tell her over and over again as I brush her hair from her heated face.

She starts to cough, with red bloody splotches coming up. I look at Apollo as a tear runs down my face as I watch her slowly dying in front of me.

'I don't want to die' Hayley coughs as she tries not to choke on her own blood.

I don't know what to say to her. What do you say to someone who knows they're dying? It breaks my heart to watch her go through this. I would wish it up one my worst enemy, but all the wishing doesn't change the fact that it is and will happen.

I slide closer to her on the bed, holding her against me as she starts to cry. Her tears are made of blood, leaving thick streaks of dark red down her face as her breathing starts to slow. I hold her while her breathing becomes so slow I struggle to hear her. Then suddenly there's one last gargled breath before her body goes limp in my arms.

'Hayley?' I ask her, shaking her shoulder, not getting a reply.

'Cas' Apollo calls, placing his hand on my arm.

'Hayley?!' I shout at her, wanting a reply.

'It's done now'

'It can't be. She can't just die like this.'

'I'm sorry Cassandra, but she's gone.'

I let out a wail as I hold her on my lap, trying to wipe some of the blood from her face. My heart sinks in my body as I think of the sweet girl I met in the diner that was so willing to help a stranger in need. She didn't deserve this. Then my mind turns to the one who did this to her. The wolf that attacked her and set this in motion.

'The wolf who did this is dead' I say more to myself than anyone else.

'We'll find them' Apollo tells me. 'Before the hunter can'

I don't know how long I sit there holding her for as I try to keep myself calm and my emotions in check, not wanting to shift into my wolf, until Apollo speaks next.

'We need to move her' he tells me quietly.

'What?'

'People are looking for her Cas after she killed the nurse. We don't want to attract the attention of the police when we already have a hunter breathing down our necks.'

'What will you do?' I ask, feeling a numbness to what he's saying.

'I'll move her car somewhere where she'll be easily found. Then I'll put her in the drivers seat. We can't just leave her car in our driveway. Sooner or later someone will come looking.'

'I'll help' I offer.

'No, you stay here. I'll do it alone.'

'But...'

'Please Cas' he interrupts gently. 'Please stay here. Try and get some rest. It's still not safe with the hunter out there and I don't want to put you at risk.'

'I don't want to be away from you'

'I have to do this. Archer can't come back to this' he tells me.

'Oh my god, Archer' I say, feeling my heart break for him.

He couldn't be here for her in her last moments. Hayley might of only been here for a couple of weeks, but I know Archer cared for her. She had a way of winning people over quickly, even the likes of Archer. She really was such a gentle soul that was taken away from us for no good reason. Now all I can think is that someone is going to pay for it.