his early life

*Makovu is 1 year old*
I don't have a lot of friends but I like it, it lets me do whatever I want. So I explore alone every day. I've been around the entirety of the tree of life a hundred times, so I go to the mountain pass and think about leaving.

That is until Rani runs over and says, "Yenye, what are you doing?!" I quickly say, "Nothing." She sees through my lie and says, "I know you want to leave here and explore Yen, but you can't yet. When you're older, you can." I say, "I know, I guess I was just thinking." She smiles and says, "Let's go back to the tree." I say, "Okay!" And we walk back.

When we get there, Grandma Janna is there, so I jump up and say, "Grandma!" She chuckles and says, "Yenye, how are you, my little explorer?" I say, "I'm great. I just found a hidden waterfall near the grazing grounds through a cave." She says, "A hidden waterfall? You'll have to take me one day." I say, "Yeah!" She asks, "How have you been doing on guitar?" I say, "I'm okay. it's hard." She says, "Yes, it is, but it is very fun."

My dad walks in and says, "Mother, please don't encourage him." She says, "Sahasi let him be a cub, let him explore." He says, "I'm not going to raise some no-good cowboy." My ears drop at my father's words but grandmother Janna strokes the top of my head which I lean into as she says, "Look at what you did, he's just a cub, he can explore all he wants." He says, 'He will do as I say, mother. He is a prince, and he will act like it." I feel tears fall from my eyes as the two lions argue, and I run out. I hear both the lions yell my name, but I don't stop running.

*Rani pov*
I'm angry at my father, but I run after Yenye and see him running to the mountain pass. I'm worried he's trying to leave, but he turns and runs to the top.

I know where he's going, but Jeez is he fast. Eventually, I catch up to him while he's sitting and crying at the top of the pass. I say, "Are you okay, Yen?" When he hears me, he quickly wipes the tears from his eyes, but I say, "It's okay to cry." He doesn't look at me but asks, "Why won't he let me be me?" I say, "I don't know, but when you're older, you can be whoever." He says, "Why do I have to wait? Everybody else lives the life they want, while I have to wait because I'm Prince." I says, "I know it sucks, Yenye, but it's just because you need to be seen as mature to the public." I say, "Screw is mature. I just wanted to have fun." I say, "I know." He doesn't say anything, so I say, "Granma Janna is worried about you, Yen, let's go back." He nods, and we walk back to the tree of life.

*8 years later, Makovu pov*

Grandma Janna got sick a few months ago, and I'm really worried. She's been the only animal who likes me for me. She's very encouraging and caring even when my parents aren't.

One day, I'm out exploring, but I hear my father roar, so I rush back to the tree. When I get there, Grandma Janna is lying on a rock with the healer next to her. She can't stand, and her voice is raspy. The healer looks at my father and shakes her head.

I see him break down in tears for the first time ever, which makes me cry. I know what's happening, and I'm scared. I walk over to her and nuzzle her. She strokes my head and says,
I say, "I love grandma." She says, 'I love you too, Yen." I say, "Please don't leave me." She says, '"Don't be sad that I'm leaving young cowboy." I say, 'How could I not be?" She says, "I'll be watching you on all your explorations. Just know I love you." I hug her neck and bury my head in her chest fur." The others all say something as her breathing slows, and I can hear her heart beat start to slow and eventually stop.

I say, "No, Grandma!" I shake her lightly and say, "Please, Grandma, don't leave me." My father says, "She gone Yen." I grab onto her neck again and say, "No, no, no."

I stay there for a few minutes before leaving, still in tears. I walk to the mountain pass, the same spot Rani found me years ago. This is my spot I go when I'm sad. When I get there, I sit and just look to the sky, asking why.

But soon after, I hear my best, and only friends say, "Are you okay, Yen?" I wipe my tears and say, "Yeah, I guess." He says, "I heard about your grandma. I'm sorry." I say, "Thanks, Didoo. I'm gonna miss her." He says, 'Me too, I loved her." He hugs me and says, "But she's watching you." I say, "That's what she said." He says, "Great minds think alike." I chuckle and say, "Sure."

A while later, I tell Didoo, "I want to go by Makovu." He says, "Makovu?" I say, "Yeah, I like the sound of it better." He says it once and says, "I like it."

That day, I ditched Yenye and became Makovu to most.

*3 years later, makovu pov*
You know, the day my grandmother died, I swore I'd live life to the fullest, and that helped me a lot. Ever since I've met a lot of people and everybody knows me as more than the prince.

It's my 13th birthday and my parents want me to have a big party with the whole kingdom but I decided to have a small one with just them and Didoo.

The day of, I get to sleep in. So when I wake up and walk out of my room, I'm immediately met by my mother, saying, "Happy Birthday, Yenye." I say, "Thanks, 'Ma."

I walk out, and my dad says, "You're late for your duties." I say, "What?" He laughs and says, "I'm joking Yen, happy birthday." I chuckle and say, "Thanks, you scared me for a second." He says, "I know, is Didoo still coming later?" I say, "Yeah, unless something serious happens." He says, "Okay, go enjoy your day." I say, "I will." Before running off.

As I run, a few people tell me happy birthday, but one group yells, "Hey Makovu, the bonfire still on?" I say, "Yeah, tonight at sunset." He yells, "You in a rush?" I say, "Not really." He says, "Come here then." I walk over and see the prettiest lioness I've ever seen. He says, "This is Sahari." I say, "Hi, I'm Prince Yenye, but you can call me Makovu." She giggles and says, "Prince, oh la la." I chuckle and ask, "When did you get here." She says, "Just this morning." I say, "Oh, I'm sure the King and Queen would like to meet you." She says, 'Oh, okay."

We walk back to the tree of life, and I say, "Mom, Dad, there's a new lioness you should meet." Dad says, "Welcome, I am King Sahasi." She says, "I am Sahari." He says, "Yenye, go relax." I say, "Yes, sir." And walk out.

I walk around for a bit until about noon when I return to the tree for the party. When I get there, my parents and siblings are already there, but Didoo isn't. My mom says, "Yenye, Didoo just went to look for you." I say, "Oh, I can go find him." She says, "Thanks, Yen."

I walk out of the cave but am pounced on from the side. I panic before a second until I open my eyes and see Didoo. He laughs and says, "Happy Birthday, Yen." I laugh and say, "Thanks, D." My family has been laughing the whole time, which tells me that they were in on this ambush.

As we walk back in and sit, Rani says, "We got you good." I chuckle and say, "Yeah." We all eat and talk for about an hour until Didoo says, "We have a suprise for you, Makovu." My father says, "Makovu?" Didoo nervously looks at me, so I say, "It's a nickname." He says, "Oh, I've never heard that." I say, "Anyways, what's the suprise?" My mom says, "We know you love to explore Yen, and you've always wanted to leave here, right?" I say, "Yeah, I like where this is going." She says, "Well, the Pridelands royal family (or part of it) is visiting tomorrow, and we've decided to let you and Didoo go to the pridelands for a week." I say, "Wait, really?" My dad says, "Yes, we think you're old enough to leave the tree of life." I immediately jump up and hug both my parents before thanking them.

Hey guys, Jedi here, and this one took me about a month to write. Which is crazy long. But I like it, and will be writing in it every once in a while, but its a side project. Anyways, have a good day/night. may the force be with you, Jedi out!!!