Chapter 22 | Finally

"Mary" Damien tried getting his daughter's attention. "Can you stop for a moment and listen to me?"

But she didn't listen. The girl was almost running through the snow and wasn't planning on stopping.

"Pumpkin" Alexander caught up with her and grabbed her wrist. "Listen to your dad for a second. And then we can go."

"It's important, Alex" she was getting impatient. "We're not far away."

"Just a second, darling" Karlson managed to walk up to them. "It's mostly about professor Casmid, but..."

"Just 'Alexander' would be better" he interrupted. "I'm dating your kid."

"Then you can call me 'Damien'" he smiled. "You won't get questioned tomorrow. We talked to Jackson and compared his statement with his previous ones. He changed his mind every time he was questioned. We also found no evidence against you. So we're gonna give you a call in the morning and afterwards you can do whatever you please."

Alexander smiled widely and hugged him.

"Take care of my daughter" Damien whispered and hugged him back.

"I will" Casmid was overjoyed. "I will."

***

"Hold on tight and lift yourself" Alexander held her and helped her climb the window. The entire house was silent. Even if Teresa was home, she was asleep. The last thing they wanted was to get caught.

"Okay, I'm in. Wait for me, I'll check if my mother is back" and just like that Mary disappeared inside her room. She tried her best to be quiet. The girl carefully opened the door and looked around the living room. Somebody was there when she was gone. And she knew who it was. Alexander was there to pick up her stuff. He must've left the room that way. She walked inside her mother's bedroom. It was empty. After checking the bathroom and the kitchen she saw Alexander walking out of her room.

"Is the house empty?" he asked.

Mary nodded and headed straight into her grandmother's bedroom. Nothing changed there. Alexander left Julianne's room alone when he was there.

"I'll help you look" the man looked under the bed. "Do you have any clue what we are looking for?"

"Not at all" she opened the closet and saw a big pile of boxes. "Do you see anything?"

Casmid knelt down next to her and took out the first box.

"There isn't anything under the bed" he opened the box. "Or in here."

"We have to keep looking" Mary was stubborn. "It's supposed to be an explanation, so I'm thinking about a letter or a notebook..."

"It can also be a photo album or basically everything" the man interrupted.

They checked box after box, but with no results. Minutes turned into almost an hour to the point when they looked through almost all the things in the room.

"We have only one place to check" Mary walked up to the vintage nightstand and attempted to open it, but the drawer was heavy.

"I got you" Alexander opened it with no effort. "I think we found what we were looking for."

The girl took out a flat jewel box and a piece of paper out of the drawer and sat down on the bed to take a closer look. Inside the box was a lot of old jewelry that her grandmother used to show her when she was a small child. Mary handed it to her boyfriend and looked at the small letter.

 Mary handed it to her boyfriend and looked at the small letter