Chapter One: The Plot

Sir Manfred of Montain was truehearted, which became the very vehicle of his ordeals. He was a knight of Lady Isabel, Countess of Montain. They were near in age and since youth her subservient. His father had too been a retainer. He served Isabel's father and neither man returned from crusade.

Thus her ladyship was orphaned, howbeit her mother had not perished. Forsooth the former Countess became a nun on news of her husband's death in deserts abroad. Abandoning Isabel to the guidance of governesses and the ambitious.

While she was tutored in all the comely manners, Manfred was trained in the management of arms. Isabel embroidered in gardens as he honed shouldering squires. Sauntering saddle side with ladies a plenty, while Manfred tilted against quintains. Yet our tale is not about the different devotions of sexes gentle born. Ours begins with a banns, and all the badness it brings.

Lady Isabella, Eleanora, Philippa, Da Claudia, Countess of Montain, was engaged to Baron Raul of far lesser and insignificant titles and names. He was twenty years her senior, reputed for ill dealings and chattel stealing. Their engagement a stool to higher sovereignty undeserving. Yet her hand he owned due favor from the King. Raul supplicating she be his ward to wive.

Although not homely and rather wealthy, Isabel had a foully attitude. The sort of temper that scared off better and youthful suitors. Isabel was purposely illiterate, none interested in any challenges of chess or poetic pastimes. Preferring the gamesome parades of farces and hawking.
Further the notion of pregnancy repulsed her. Isabel was gracile and the bloat of childbearing was a thing hideous and slovenly. So inspired her ridiculous ploy to end her marriage ere it could begin.

Four days afore departure to her bridegroom's barony, Isabel bade Manfred come to her solar. The handmaids were sent away and so alone they were. Her faithful knight was tall and wide chested, with short dark hair and light brown eyes in contrast to the fair features of his lady.

"Sit Manny," Isabel told from her own seat. Manfred did as bid, sitting across from his ladyship.

"The Baron Raul is a boar," the Countess continued, "Our fathers used to hunt wild pigs."

"Am I to take you on hunt my lady?"

"Ugh!" she groaned. "Hath you a mind Manny?" Isabel shuddered a long sigh. "Pour me wine."

Manfred rose for the table where a flagon stood. Filling a goblet for his mistress, he spun and set it in her palm before returning to his chair.

"I want not to wed. Raul is old." Isabel sipped in Manfred's silence. "Albeit our king gave my wardship to he, and as my conservator he may turn me out my own fief if I refuse to marry."

Manfred squinted in thought. "I think our sovereign chivalrous, who protects the property of damsels."

The Countess raised the brim to her lip. "Kindly king made the baron warden of me!" She spoke again before having her swig, "I'll be doomed dame, than all his devious designs shall be Raul's right!" Isabel drank dry her wine.

"Shall I refresh my lady?" Asked Manfred as she thumbed the metal stem in contemplation. Studying the goblet with a gaze sorrowful blue. They remained wordless in the flickering candle loom. Her nose scrunched and chin began to quiver.

"Oh Manny," she bewailed, resting a hand over Manfred's. "What might I so meager a maiden do?"

The knight grabbed her goblet, placing it down on the rushes. Tenderly he took her hands in his palms. Clasping them as if in a prayer, he faced the lady's tears. Fogged from the forlornness of the impending bondage.

"We hath, but one course," she whimpered. "And I shan't flee to some nunnery and forfeit my father's entitlements."

"I shall do whatever deed to free my lady," Manfred calmly proclaimed.

He left the room with a role for his mistress' ruse. Outside awaited a maid, whom Manfred informed of their lady's readiness to retire. She hurried in, bolting the door behind. Isabel was disrobed and laid for bed. Meanwhile the knight went in search for his squire.

Tybolt was found in the stable stalled with Manfred's destrier. Brushing the black coat of his master's warhorse.

"I have need of you," announced he from around the corner. "And damn you Tybolt if you cannot keep discreet."

The squire turned, stepping away from the stallion's rear. "What need hath you of me milord?"

"Gain from your sister clean yet her most worn garments. Than tack up my mount and the eldest palfrey for yourself."

Tybolt stood bemused. "Milord? Where are we to ride so near twilight?"

"To Ravill, whence the wretchedwedlock is to be done. Bring along my arms and a dark surcoat too."

The teenager tossed the brush and went with haste to do Manfred's hest. Returning with all asked and an awaken page to aid. The two horses were loaded and boarding them the pair rode out of the Countess' castle under a moonless sky. Led by torch, they steered in shadows thither that village. Through sinister air they went in a gentle gait. Not wanting to injure the horse beneath on unfamiliar blacken roads. For any unseen ditch or trip could be death for themselves or steed.

Deep into night they reach a hamlet yond the bridegroom's borders. The highway led to an inn with an outer wooden wall. When passed through its palisade parking and board were before them. Tybolt and Manfred dismounted, while the ladder called on the innkeeper, his squire tied their horses. Though the hour was late, the knight was granted a lodge. When Tybolt joined him in their private chamber, he brought his sir's armor and weapons. For they were too valued to leave in unguarded stables. Sunrise was soon, and that is when Manfred made his manservant privy of the plot. Ensuring no ears but his learned of their lady's trick.