❝𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖 𝐀𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 & 𝐇𝐮𝐫𝐭❞

Author POV

Nearly a week has passed since the incident, and Mr. Blackwood strictly instructed Grace to rest and let her wounds heal. Today is her day to return to work; she is excited about this not because of her job but rather because she will finally get to see Alexander. Even though he called her at night, his workload increased while she was away. She blushed at the idea of being with him.

Grace made her way towards her office while other employees greeted her, she decided to first meet her uncle and then begin with work. Upon reaching she was about to knock on door when she unintentionally heard him talking to someone, thinking it's important she decided to wait.

But she heard Alexander's name being mentioned, she wouldn't help but eavesdrop the conversation.

"Oh of course, Alexander will marry her. They are betrothed." He spoke

Grace POV

Oh of course, Alexander will marry her. They are betrothed.

"He's bet-trothed to someone." I mumbled

I feel so stupid to even think that he would love me

I laughed at this bitter truth

I didn't even realize when my eyes formed a pool of tear as a sob left my mouth without even realizing.

Come on, Grace you can't cry over stars.

It's not like he was mine

Nor

I'm his

I sighed walking towards my office. Let's get some work done, Grace. I told to myself.

I was almost an hour as I continued to work to distract myself but I didn't help those words kept ringing in my ears, deciding to take a break I got up from chair as I looked the sky through the window.

Knock! Who would it now? uncle?

"Come in!" I said only to see Alexander who held a soft smile.

Maybe only if I wouldn't have heard that conversation, I would've been happy.

"Cherry, how are doing now?" He asked

Cherry

Don't make it hard for me Xain. I'll break. I thought

"I'm doing great Alexander. Any work for me?" I asked

"No dad wanted to talk to you." He spoke

"Oh sure, give me a minute I'll be there."

Alexander POV

She here.

Almost after a week I'll have a glimpse of her. I wouldn't help but keep thinking about her, although I used to call her after work but as she left the workload increased on me. I was working when I heard from employee that Grace has already arrived an hour ago.

Why didn't she come to meet me? I thought

I decided to pay her a visit as I entered her room with a knock, getting inside my eyes meet hers those doe eye did light up on seeing me but soon I would see that those eyes held sadness and pain.

"Cherry, how are you doing now?" I asked her expecting a laugh at her nickname but all I received as a cold reply.

"I'm doing great Alexander. Any work for me?" I said as if I was just a stranger to her. I pained me but maybe we can talk about this later.