15. 𝙞 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪

15. i love you

season one, episode six: tape 3, side b

▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂

"I waited for you, Marcus. And I just had to sit there, wondering. Imagining. Playing over all the different scenarios in my mind. And all the while thinking that they all knew, everyone in the whole place, that I'd been stood up on Valentine's Day.

I decided to give you one more chance. Stupid Hannah.

And then, you finally showed up. Except you weren't alone.

And again, you were funny, Marcus. And I thought maybe, just maybe, it was going to be alright."

Nessa sat on the couch at Bryce's house, accompanied by Zach, Justin, Alex, and a few others. This was the usual spot for Valentine's Day, although Zach and his group of guys had shown up a bit late. Ever since middle school, the friend group would go to Bryce's on Valentine's Day night, because none of them could usually keep a relationship long enough to have a Valentine.

Nessa enjoyed the time with her friends, but this year, she enjoyed the presence of Alex Standall. She knew he would be here, but she also knew the promise that she had made to herself not to bring up the Dollar Valentine's survey.

"Hey, Ness." Alex said as he hopped over the couch furthest from everyone else and sat next to her, a beer in his hand.

"Hey Alex." she greeted the boy, taking a sip of her beer as she turned to face him.

"How was your great day of love?" Alex asked her, a teasing tone in his voice.

"Well, I'm here getting drunk with a bunch of losers, so I'd say pretty dull." Nessa replied. "How about you?"

"I think you just answered that question for me." Alex chuckled, and Nessa nodded.

"Actually, I was going to call someone on my Dollar Valentine's list, but I would rather not deal with rejection today." Alex continued.

It is necessary to know that Nessa Dempsey was tipsy, and leaning more towards drunk. Which is the only reason that she had even half the confidence to say what she said next.

"As if you would ever get rejected, Alex." Nessa said, taking another sip of the bottle she had in her hands.

"You'd be surprised." Alex replied. "But thanks, Ness."

She nodded, gazing at the boy in front of her.

"So, who was it?" Nessa questioned. Part of her did it so she would know who Alex wanted to be with, or at least get a date with today, so she could push out the single lasting thought of them ever becoming something. The other part of her asked just in case he said her name.

"Yeah, I'm not telling you that." Alex said matter-of-factly.

"Oh, come on, Alex." Nessa said, inching toward him and pushing him with her shoulder. "I won't tell her."

"Actually, I think you would." Alex replied, laughing as he looked away from her captivating gaze.

"Promise, I won't." Nessa declared, holding her pinky out to pinky promise that she wouldn't tell. Alex thought for a moment, debating if this was worth it. He, too, was slightly drunk, so he decided to just take his shot. At least if he missed, it wasn't for lack of trying.