Prologue

She grabbed her bag and dashed out the door, racing across the asphalt towards the helicopter. "They're coming," she panted. Her mother's face brightened. She picked up the magazine once more. She grinned at her dad, before settling into her seat.

Clare pelted after her younger sister, taking the steps two at a time. She had made it! 10 minutes later Kerry sauntered out. Flicking her shiny auburn hair over her shoulder. She moved with grace, poise elegance. Most of all, she moved painfully slowly. Her mother let her away with it, complimenting her hair. Their dad would have taken the time to give her a piece of his mind, but he was too busy going over things before take-off. Therefore, the girls took it upon themselves. Why did it have to be today of all days? Each of the siblings were close, Clare and Louis in particular. 'Couldn't you been faster?'

A look from her dad silenced her. They got ready for take-off, going over safety procedures. When that finished, she continued as though nothing had happened. "Seriously? You were ages! He's going to be expecting us." Punctuality was Louis' middle name. Kerry gave her a smug, condescending glance.

"Everything's not a race" There was no completion. After all, she was playing. Kerry's hair was messy and straight forwardly styled, tied in a practical knot at the back of her head. Her clothes were plain and suitable for travelling. Of course, she had wanted to look good. It wasn't her fault her sister had tricked her out of the shower. Telling her there was a message on the phone for her; from Rick. The boy at school. That one they both liked. Of course in hindsight she should have known. Her older sister (by three minutes) would not have tried to give her a leg up... Like a little kid, she'd run out, still in her dressing gown, smoothing her hair as she went, despite the fact he couldn't see her. She was hell-bent on getting to the answering-machine.

There was no message. While she was gone, her sister had beaten her to the bathroom. It wasn't that they didn't have more than one, but she had chosen the one closest to their shared room. With the Jacuzzi, powers spray and under- floor heated tiles. And the new bottle of conditioner which she had bought specially. When she came out she looked relaxed. Clare wouldn't let her into their room. No that it mattered. She had just gone next door, where their mother was dressing in the walk-in-wardrobe. Complaining of her sister's childish behaviour, she had of course been allowed to borrow some of her mother's clothes. Fancier, more elegant and expensive ones at that. Their room held the curling tongs; not that Kerry needed them. Her hair was naturally curly. This had long been a source of tension in their relationship. Kerry's hair while pretty was despairingly straight; not a wave in sight. Too frustrated by the morning's events and in a state of ecstasy about the upcoming ones, she hadn't been bothered to mess with her hair. Louis had told her enough, he liked her just the way she was. He had also said, she remembered fondly that any guy who didn't was to be sent to him. Louis wouldn't try to change their opinion. Just kick their ass. Clare was quite sure of that. Any boy who asked her to change wasn't worth her time. Though he didn't often admit it, for fear of being thought soppy; he wanted her to stay the same though. So he could protect her. She knew in her heart, as did he that things couldn't stay the same. Things would be different now. After all he was a college boy. Not too cool to talk to her, he'd assured her over Skype just two nights ago. She was immensely looking forward to seeing him again. Probably more than was strictly socially acceptable.

Under normal circumstances, a fight such as that would result in supervised mediation, with the girls eventually sorting out their differences. Not today though, today there hadn't been time. For fighting or the peace talks that usually followed. They spent the rest of the journey in an anticipated silence. Today was the day. They were going to see him. Nothing else mattered. Their nineteen year-old brother Louis had just finished his first year of college. He was hoping to go to medical school, so for the last academic year had revolved around science and math. He was on cloud nine; his favourite subjects taught in a way that was more challenging and stimulating than at high school. He was, at his parents request going to spend the summer with them, at the most permanent and largest of their homes by far. The one in Rhode Island. The helicopter might have been a bit over the top. Not that anyone would willingly admit. He was the eldest. The golden boy with the good grades, whose legacy they had felt the need to live up to all of their lives. Nothing was too good for him. Or for the others for that matter. Seeing their faces light up with the joy of seeing their big brother was something magical.