Three. ╱ God Of Showing Off

finally, the sky began to lighten. artemis muttered, "about time. he's so lazy during the winter."

"you're, um, waiting for sunrise?" percy asked.

"for my brother. yes."

percy didn't want to be rude; he knew the legends about apollo—or sometimes helios—driving a big sun chariot across the sky. but he also knew that the sun was really a star about a zillion miles away. he'd gotten used to some of the greek myths being true, but still... no one could see how it was possible that apollo could drive the sun.

"it's not exactly as you think," artemis said, like she was reading my mind.

"oh, okay." he started to relax. "so, it's not like he'll be pulling up in a—"

there was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. a blast of warmth.

"don't look," artemis advised. "not until he parks."

parks?

percy averted his eyes, making eye contact with ivory behind him (who's reflexes and hearing were both crap) who hadn't heard a single thing anyone had said.

the light and warmth intensified until their winter coats felt like it was melting off. then suddenly the light died and percy and ivory were left squinting at one another.

ivory was first to look away and at apollo, percy following suit, his jaw nearly dropping.

that was his car. well, the car he wanted; a red convertible maserati spyder. it was so awesome, it glowed. then it hit him; the car was glowing because the metal was hot. the snow had melted around the maserati in a perfect circle, which explained why they were now standing on green grass.

the driver got out, smiling. he looked about seventeen or eighteen, and for a second, percy turned pale, looking as though he had seen a ghost. ivory glanced at the boy before turning to study the new guy; sandy hair, outdoorsy good looks, tall, with a smile bright and playful. the maserati driver wore jeans and loafers and a sleeveless t-shirt.

"wow," thalia muttered. "apollo is hot."

"he's the sun god," percy said, oblivious.

"not what she meant," ivory said, and percy looked at her to see her eyes were shamelessly eyeing the man; so much so that if she were reflected back to herself, she'd be reminded of her uncle.

"little sister!" apollo called. if his teeth were any whiter, he could've blinded them without the sun car. "what's up? you never call. you never write. i was getting worried!"

artemis sighed. "i'm fine, apollo. and i am not your little sister."

"hey, i was born first."

ivory snorted, maybe too loud since everyone was now staring at her, "sorry, it's just—and i'm not saying this like i know better or anything 'cause i literally just learned that greek mythology is real and stuff," she tried to explain, "but didn't she like, help your mum birth you or something?"

there was a silence; apollo blinked dumbly at her, while artemis gave him a smug look.

"that's beside the point, i'm still older," without letting her argue, he continued; "got the girls with you, i see. you all need some tips on archery?"

artemis grit her teeth. "i need a favour. i have some hunting to do, alone. i need you to take my companions to camp half-blood."

"sure, sis!" then he raised his hands in a stop everything gesture. "i feel a haiku coming on."