Chapter One

Andy goes to talk to Mason

His "brothers" show up and Andy realizes she's in trouble.

After the pride parade, Andy had an uneasy feeling about Maya seeing Mason and thought she should go and speak to him. Try to get him to understand.

It took a couple of days, but Andy was able to get Mason's address from Ryan's old captain.

It was after shift, but she stayed in her uniform, got in her car, drove to Mason's address and knocked on the door. She sighed and waited for him to answer.

"Mason, I think we need to talk," Andy said, crossing her arms.

"I have nothing to say to you, Andy," Mason told her and tried to close the door, but Andy stuck her foot in the door.

"Well, I have a lot to say to you," Andy told him. "How the hell could you buy into this shit."

"Because it isn't "Shit." All that pride and transgender stuff is what's wrong with the world." Mason told her and Andy shook her head.

"How are people living their lives "What's wrong with the world" Mason?" Andy asked, eyebrows furrowed, voice raising.

"We're losing out on jobs because of identity politics because of-"

Andy interrupts Mason. "-So that's worth hating on people you don't even know?"

"I really don't think you can talk to me this way when you don't even fucking know me, Herrera," Mason said, anger clear on his face.

"Mason, not being able to get jobs is not a reason to get pissed off over people living their lives and being true to themselves." Andy tried to argue.

Mason opened his mouth to answer but both Andy and him turned around when they heard the door close. Andy turned around and saw three guys.

"Who's this, Mason?" A guy who had sleeve tattoos on both arms asked while looking Andy up and down.

"Someone way out of your league," Andy said, Disgust on her face. "Mason, look can we go somewhere to talk?"

"No. I'm not going to talk to you about some stupid pride parade when I have better things to do." Mason told her, walking to the kitchen.

"Wait this bitch is gay?" Andy heard a guy ask and she gulped, she heard him walk closer. "Maybe she just needs some motive to find out how wrong liking girls instead of men is." He said and Andy turned around and came face to face with him.

"No, not gay," Andy told them, shaking her head and backing up.

"She's probably bi like my sister is," Mason said, disgust in his voice.

"Oh, so she's confused?" one of the guys asked, also walking closer to Andy.

"No," Andy tried to speak but noticed all of them started walking closer to Andy.

"Maybe we need to send a message." The guy with the tattoos said.

Andy gulped. "I'm just going to go." Andy tried to move past the guys but two held each of her arms. "Let go!" Andy tried to free herself. Andy watched the guys smirk at each other and her heart dropped. There were four of them and only one of her.

No. No. No! This cannot happen again. Please God no.

Just as Andy was caught up in her thoughts she felt a sharp pain in her stomach. Someone had punched her. She doubled over in pain and felt more fists beating on her. Andy let out a scream when they dropped her and started to kick her.

The men had been kicking Andy for what seemed like forever when the door barged open. Andy felt the kicking and hitting stop a few seconds later and fell on her back. She heard the men and Mason being arrested and led out of the apartment while a cop had stayed behind to make sure Andy was okay.

"Holy shit. Tell the medics to hurry up! This woman is a captain with SFD." Andy heard what she assumed to be a cop call out. "Hang on, Herrera. Hang on." The cop said, coming closer to Andy and feeling her pulse. Andy tried to open her eyes, but she realized she was only able to open one and her vision was blurry.

"Oh, God." Andy heard someone say. "Hey, Andy, it's Deja Duval, I got you okay? You're going to be okay, Herrera." Andy felt her eyes growing heavy and she couldn't fight staying awake any longer.