The Story

The tantalizing aroma of sizzling breakfast delicacies wafted through the air, coaxing Jason's heavy eyelids open as he descended the stairs into the welcoming embrace of the living room. Still half asleep, he relied on his sense of smell, following the irresistible scent like a compass guiding a lost traveler. "Oh! Good morning, Jason!" greeted his mom, surprised by the sudden appearance of her zombie-like son, almost spitting out her coffee. But Jason, still ensnared by the lingering tendrils of sleep, offered no response.

"I said GOOD MORNING!" she thundered, and Jason was back to life. With a sheepish grin, he mumbled a belated "Good morning, Mom," stretching his limbs as though they were just roused from a deep hibernation. Seated at the table, he indulged in the sumptuous feast before him, relishing the velvety eggs with crisp, butter-kissed toast. Satisfied by the delicious meal, a wave of contentment and tranquility washed over him. Enveloped in the warm embrace of the morning sun's gentle rays, Jason reclined in his chair, a serene smile gracing his features.

"Shouldn't you be preparing for school? Look at the time," his mother gently chided, her voice carrying a melody of concern. She pointed to the grand round clock that had adorned the living room wall for longer than Jason's memory could reach. Its rhythmic and unwavering tick-tock evaporated Jason's momentary bliss, as he lifted himself and ran to prepare for the day ahead.

"Oh, please wake up your brother also, he was late yesterday too!"

"Why do I have to? " Jason moaned irritatingly. "Oh my dear son," his mother replied, a twinkle of mischief dancing in her eyes, "how much work do you want your old mother to do? Besides, I've tried, he's just too heavy of a sleeper for me. So help your mother out, will you?" she expressed, pouring her third cup of coffee.

"Ok, fine." Jason agreed with a resigned sigh.

A few moments later, Mom heard footsteps coming down the stairs. "Oh, so Jason managed to wake you up, did he? Good morning, Ethan," his mother quipped, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee enveloping her as she poured another cup. "Hey, ease up on the coffee, or you'll end up six feet under before your time," Ethan replied bluntly, brushing off her greeting without a second thought.

"Oh don't say that! It's my only solace. Every time I close my eyes, thoughts of your father come knocking, it's very painful you know." She retorted sarcastically but her words carried a hint of sorrow which Ethan immediately sensed. "Forget about him. He chose to leave his family behind. It's his loss," he snapped, his tone laced with bitterness. He put down his glass of milk and stormed out of the room.

"Oh, Ethan, hold up! Where's your brother?" Mother's voice carried a note of concern. "Heck if I know? Probably ran off to classes through the back door, that straight-laced idiot," Ethan scoffed, his tone laced with a hint of amusement.

"Well, that's a dilemma. He left his lunch box," Mother sighed, gesturing towards two lunch boxes sitting at the edge of the dining table. "Ethan, would you do me a favor and deliver this to your brother? We wouldn't want him wasting away from hunger, now would we?" she teased.

"Why do I have to?" Ethan retorted, his frustration evident. "It's his fault he forgot it."

"Oh, but think about it, didn't he wake you up this morning? Wouldn't it be fair to return the favor?" she reasoned, a playful pitch in her voice.

"If shoving someone off the bed counts as a wake-up call, then I don't need them," he retorted sarcastically, a little smirk developing on the corner of his lips. Mother let out a resigned sigh, beginning to rise from her chair. "Fine, I suppose I'll go. Even though it's sweltering outside today, I'll survive, I suppose," she mused dramatically.

"Ugh, fine! Just hand over the box." Ethan grumbled, accepting reluctantly. " Aww, you're such a caring brother, Ethan, now do be careful on your way. And for a change, why don't you also try the lunch I prepared for you, hmm?" Mother suggested hopefully.