9 - Scarlett

Scarlett let herself drop down the ladder until her feet hit the cold tile of the kitchen below. She couldn't quite extinguish the fire of rage burning inside her as she stomped through her living room and noisily opened and closed drawers in her dresser, pulling out clothes at random, before rushing into the bathroom and slamming the door behind her.

No one, not ever, had even considered...

No, she couldn't even think about it.

She washed her face, trying to clear her thoughts, but she couldn't quite make sense of what had happened. It was her fault, of course. She had let herself follow that pull even though she knew it was a bad idea. It turned out to be a far worse idea than she had at first anticipated, but she'd beat herself up about that particular aspect of her fuck up later.

Spreading the clothes she had blindly chosen from her drawers, she picked the red knitted dress and pulled it over her head, fixing the collar so it would display her shoulders. She fixed her hair and applied a quick coat of mascara before opening the door again.

She froze as she met the wall of muscle that was Dante, standing on the other side of the door.

'Get out of my way.'

'Scarlett,' he tried to get her attention, but she couldn't face him. Nausea churned in her stomach, and made her face feel hot and her chesttight.

'Get.Out.Of.My.Way,' she insisted.

Dante moved dutifully, sliding to the side like a door and even though she didn't look his way, she could feel his eyes on her. She pulled her boots on, never looking up.

'Come on, Scarlett, it's not that–'

'I don't care,' she said, her words sounding weaker than she expected.

'What?'

She wanted to yell at him, but she couldn't face him.

'I'm going out,' she said. 'Go to sleep. I'll be back in the morning.'

'What am I supposed to do if–'

'Just deal with it,' she grunted as she grabbed her jacket and left, letting the door close behind her. He would know to lock the door, right? She gritted her teeth and pulled her jacket tighter, bracing herself against the cold. Luckily, the Duck Inn was only across the street.

The smell of beer and grease from the grills assaulted her as soon as she opened the doors and it made her feel like home. It was not so busy, but the usual crowd for a Thursday.

'I didn't think I would see you again today,' Yejin said from behind the bar. Throwing a towel over her shoulder, her friend prepared drinks for the guys from the mechanics, who now sat at the other end of the bar, two of them leering at Scarlett. Her nose scrunched up by itself. They waved at her as she perched herself on her usual spot. Her stool was right next to where Jaehyun came to get his orders. 'Oh dear, did something happen?'

'No,' she said, short.

'So yes. Did Fourwings come knocking at your door again with some other crazy idea?'

That thought gave her pause. What if he did, indeed, come knocking at her door?

Fuck, maybe she should go back. She could be the one to sleep on the sofa, after all. She wasn't going to destroy it, at least.

No, fuck him. He was a grown ass man, he could sort himself out. And anyway, it's not like Fourwings could read on people's faces whether they were human or not. Even if the Were was stupid enough to open the door, he should still be fine as long as he could make up a good story. It had been stupid of her not to prepare something straight away, just in case–