24. 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙞 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪

24. you know i love you

season one, episode ten: tape 5, side b

▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂

"Sometimes, things just happen to you. They just happen. You can't help it. But it's what you do next that happens. Not what happens, but what you decide to do about it.

And I've made some very bad decisions in my life. As you know."

Nessa drove through her small hometown, needing an escape after the last tape that she had listened to. Things were starting to prove to be much more than she could have ever imagined, and it was becoming a lot for her to handle.

She drove around, glancing out of the windows of her car as she took in the sights around her, recalling the memories that this little town had created for her. She was so caught up in her own thoughts, that she didn't even realize where she was, and where she had driven to.

She looked out of her passenger window, at the intersection she was at. She stopped her car, just for a moment, to look at the broken wooden pole that was sticking out of the ground, still standing as proof of the worst phone call she had ever received.

"God, I miss you, Jeff." she whispered as a single tear slid down her face. "I miss you so fucking much."

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

Nessa sat outside, alongside Alex and a few of their other friends – Montgomery, Zach, Scott, and Jeff. She was pretty drunk, and she hoped that Zach was sticking to his plan of two beers and done, considering they both needed to get home safely. When she saw Zach with a bottle of water in his hand, she calmed down and took another sip of her drink.

"Ball in!" Montgomery called from one side of the table, standing next to Zach. Scott Reed and Jeff Atkins were on the other side, and they were losing the game of beer pong pretty badly.

"Monty, I'm pretty sure you won." Nessa spoke from beside Alex, who had his arm positioned around her as they watched the game. Nessa was supposed to play next, but Jeff insisted on playing until he won.

"Ah, not so fast, Ness." Jeff said. "Scotty and I still have redemption."

Scott smirked at Nessa, and Jeff pointed to the cups on the other side.

"Let's see it, then." Nessa challenged the boy. Jeff always took challenges, though. He threw the ball, missing one of the five cups that was still on the table by a hair. Monty cheered, wrapping his arms around Zach in a boyish hug.

"Too bad, Atkins." Nessa joked. "My turn now."

"All good, I gotta go on a beer run soon, anyways." Jeff said, leaving the table to go talk to Clay Jensen. "You can replace me as Scott's partner."

"You're good to drive?" Nessa questioned. She knew that Jeff was always safe, but she was definitely worried about anyone at this party driving right now.

"Two beers, two hours ago." Jeff stated matter-of-factly. "Thanks for worrying about me though, Ness."

Nessa smiled, opening her arms as Jeff walked over to give her a soft hug. She closed her arms around him, smiling softly. "Always, you know I love you."