37. 𝙠𝙚𝙚𝙥 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙛𝙪𝙘𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙢𝙤𝙪𝙩𝙝 𝙨𝙝𝙪𝙩

37. keep your fucking mouth shut

season 2, episode 2: two girls kissing

▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂

"Nessa! Zach!" Mrs. Dempsey's shrill voice called through the hallways, waking both teenagers up from their slumber. "Breakfast!"

Nessa groaned as she rubbed her eyes, still feeling exhausted. She hadn't slept very well last night, considering the incident that had occurred. She had taken it down before her mom saw it, but she was planning on showing Zach in the car on the way to Alex's house.

Nessa quickly pulled a sweatshirt on and a pair of leggings, throwing her hair into a messy topknot on her head. Her outfits at school hadn't been very impressive these days, but she really didn't care. There were more important things to worry about. She made her way to her restroom, quickly brushing her teeth and putting on perfume before grabbing her backpack and running downstairs. Zach was already down, leaning against the counter talking to their mother.

"Barry emailed me last night." Mrs. Dempsey said in a hushed tone. Nessa stayed behind the staircase, listening to the conversation. "He said it was Bryce's idea, and that he had asked you yesterday."

"Asked me what?" Zach said.

"If we want to use their lawyer." Mrs. Dempsey replied. "I am not going to let you or your sister take the stand without some guidance. This kind of thing can ruin someone's life."

"I know, mom." Zach replied, irritated. "We can find our own lawyer, it's fine. I'm not interested in anything Bryce has to offer, and you shouldn't be either."

"This is the kind of thing your father used to handle." Mrs. Dempsey said, dialing a number on her phone. "At times like these, we need to benefit from our associations."

Nessa's stomach dropped, and Zach's phone began to vibrate. She pushed herself out from behind the stairwell, announcing herself before her mom said anything more.

"You ready, Zach?" Nessa asked sharply as she entered the kitchen, her mother distracted by her phone call. Zach nodded, and the two slipped out, not even bothering to grab breakfast for the road.

Nessa and Zach got into his car and pulled out of the driveway, making their way to Alex's house to pick him up.

"So." Nessa said, breaking the silence. "Mom wants to use the Walker's lawyer?"

Zach winced as he continued driving. "You heard that?"

Nessa nodded. "Benefit from our associations, huh? Even when their son raped her daughter?"

"I'll find us another lawyer." Zach said. "I don't want whatever he's trying to give us."

"Okay." Nessa replied, looking out of the window. She thought about the doll that was outside of her window last night, debating on whether she should tell Zach.

"Zach?" Nessa said softly as he turned onto Alex's street. "I need to show you something."

Zach slowed the car as they stopped at Alex's house, waiting for Nessa to finish before they both went to the door to grab him. "Yeah?"

Nessa pulled out her phone, swiping to pull up the picture from last night. Her breath hitched as she saw it again, turning the phone to face her brother.