CHAPTER 1: SHADOWS OVER THE DUNES

Neit trailed two Taliban men, keeping a cautious distance. The scorching afternoon sun cast long shadows across the desert, providing just enough cover. He needn't have felt ill at ease; it was unlikely they would see him even if they looked in his direction.

"What are they doing here?" the shorter man inquired, squinting against the relentless sun.

"That's what I asked," the towering man shrugged, barely glancing at his companion. "If they see us together, it will raise suspicions on both sides of the border. You and I both know we don't need that kind of heat – not now."

Neit's feet seemed to glide over the hot desert sand as he continued to trail the two men. He positioned himself behind a rock, straining to catch their conversation.

"What do you want?" the taller man snapped, his voice harsh as two men came into view, hoods pulled low over their eyes.

Neit would have laughed at their sorry excuse for a disguise if the situation wasn't so perilous. Their network spread across continents, but Afghanistan? What business would they have in this god-forsaken country? If it weren't for Kavan and the other men, Neit wouldn't have stepped foot here either, much preferring the lush, rolling hills of Ireland. He leaned forward, catching the last part of the newcomer's reply.

"We want the same thing you do, of course, and we are willing to put aside our differences and help you achieve your goal – ridding your country of these soldiers once and for all."

Abdul's eyes narrowed. "Why would you help us? They are great armies and will not leave easily."

"That's where you're wrong," Aaron grinned. "Your men won't lose any lives if you follow my plan exactly. Are we in agreement?"

"And what do you want in exchange? Nothing is free..."

Aaron's companion finally joined the conversation. "Your loyalty. We demand nothing except your unwavering cooperation when the time is right."

Abdul glanced at his companion, who shrugged. Turning back to face Aaron, Abdul nodded. "We will do as you suggest. You have my word – you will find an ally in me."

"Me too," his friend added.

"Perfect." There was no mirth in Aaron's smile now. Abdul had made a deal with the devil, and there would be no turning back.

Neit balled his fists. He hadn't expected Abdul to agree to the plan so quickly. Fools – the whole lot of them.

"It will be far too obvious if you take out the entire army. No, a few at a time will be less conspicuous. Memorize this list, then destroy it. If you do not, it will be your heads rolling. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes," the two men lowered their heads in unison, already realizing they may have made a terrible mistake.

"Once enough die – especially in such a short period – the president will reconsider keeping his armies here. We already have delegates meeting with the president and the prime minister of Canada behind closed doors. Trust us, you'll have your country returned and restored before you know it if you follow the plan. Now, give me back the list. There is no time to lose."

Aaron watched the flame from his lighter lick the paper Abdul had been holding just moments before. Neit knew he had to warn Kavan immediately.

***

"Merry Christmas," Gaetan grinned at the younger men gathered around the table.

"And to you, Sir," Kavan's peacock-blue eyes sparkled. "May we be gathered with our loved ones by this time next year."

Gaetan leaned back in his chair, a frown etching his forehead. "I can't shake the feeling that many of us will not see another Christmas..."

Kavan lowered his head. For being deployed as peacekeepers, they'd seen their fair share of death. Without a single shot having been fired, Canadian blood stained the sand – grieving widows and fatherless children awaiting what remained of their loved ones. Gaetan was right – going home for Christmas may never be a reality.

Neit joined Kavan at that moment but didn't bother to sit down. "I wouldn't normally care, considering the circumstances," Neit gestured toward Gaetan, immediately drawing Kavan's attention, "but you might want to make the most of your time with Gaetan. He's running out of time."

"Captain Kirkpatrick..." Gaetan repeated, frowning.

Kavan brought his thoughts back to the present, his eyes deepening with sorrow. "Sir," Kavan's throat was constricted much too tight. "I'd like a word with you – alone."

Gaetan stood ramrod straight as he waited for Kavan to fall into place at his side.

"Is there something wrong?" Kavan glanced over at Neit who remained silent, his eyes conveying far more than he'd had time to say.

****

When the two men were alone, titles and rank fell to the side. Kavan had known Gaetan since he arrived in Canada years ago; the two men were as close as siblings. They'd never held anything from each other, and Afghanistan had only strengthened their friendship.

"I received my assignment last night. I'm to meet the local police department at first light and will be responsible for their training. You will be leaving with the aircraft taking back..." Gaetan's words caught in his throat, but Kavan already knew what his friend was trying to convey. Kavan would be a pallbearer, loading the caskets of their comrades who would never see another Christmas. Kavan turned his head to hide the fact that his blue eyes had misted with tears for the fallen.

Warriors don't cry.

"You'll be going on leave once the ceremony is over and you are back on Canadian soil. Look, I'm not sure why, but I have this gut feeling I just can't shake. Something is wrong. I know I can trust you with this..." Gaetan lowered his voice to an almost imperceptible whisper, a shadow lingering in his indigo blue eyes.

Kavan's eyes narrowed. "Are you certain?"

Gaetan nodded, the scorching, late afternoon sun glinting off his honey-blonde hair. "If you are certain, of course, I will look into it."

"You cannot – no, you must not trust your findings to a letter or even a phone call. If anything should happen to me, you need to follow this lead. It is bigger than you and I, don't you see?"

"How would you like me to let you know what I find?"

"You can't – at least not for now. And this feeling...it refuses to let me go. I don't think I will be returning. I can't shake the feeling that I won't be going back home other than in a casket."

"Words hold great power, my friend," Kavan warned his companion, although they didn't share the same faith. "You'll be back in Canada within a few months. I'm sure Arlene can't wait..."

"Death must come to all of us," Gaetan linked his hands behind his back, his broad chest more pronounced. "And after that, we must meet our Maker. I'm ready. I know Who holds my soul in His hand, and it is well."

A moment of silence ensued, lingering in the air like a holy hush. Gaetan clenched his fists even harder behind his back and out of sight.

"I don't know if I will see you again this side of eternity, Kavan. Remember what I have told you tonight, and if something should happen to me, I'd like you to break the news to my parents."

Kavan swallowed hard. Each of the soldiers knew exactly what they had signed up for, but their long friendship made it so much harder. "Of course."

It was, of course, the reality of war; however, their long friendship would make it so much harder. Kavan looked away, remembering Neit's earlier warning. Gaetan had simply confirmed what Kavan already knew – his days were numbered.