Vacation, a Villain Complex short story

Hello readers! I have many plans for short stories and one-shots about the characters of Villain Complex. I am developing ideas for future books in the series as well, but I plan to release some shorter stuff in the mean time.

The first story is called Vacation. It will be FREE to read, but you need to subscribe to my newsletter to get it in your inbox. Sign up at rorynorth.com/starchatter.

Alternatively, you can become a free member of my Patreon. All of the Vacation story parts will be free to read, no need to join the paid tier! Patreon.com/RoryNorth

*please note that if you read the original version of the book, the short stories will have some character & name changes, the biggest being that jordan is now named spencer*

Here is a preview of the story ~

"No one said I'm not legally allowed to leave the state," Julian attempted to reassure Charlotte while she paced back and forth in his apartment's kitchen. She clutched the printout of two boarding passes in her hand. Two tickets to San Diego.

Charlotte's gaze flicked over the printed dates. In two days, they were supposed to leave for their week-long vacation. Their first vacation together. Julian had been nervous making the proposition, but Charlotte had loved the idea. Up until she started overthinking all of the ways it could go wrong.

She glanced up. "They said they were going to ask you more questions about the other villains Blazar worked with."

"I'm not a suspect," Julian replied with a shrug. "We have nothing to worry about. If they want to do another interview, it can wait until we get back." It would be a short interview, anyway. Most of those other villains were dead or already locked up.

"I'm still offended you only bought two tickets," Harper proclaimed from the couch where she played some fantasy wizard video game he didn't understand. She was currently battling a massive winged deer. It displayed sharp teeth in an animation that played every time Harper blasted it with magic, and a labeled health bar in the corner stated that it was something called a peryton.

"You can come on the next one, Harper." Julian did feel bad about leaving her out, but she'd had a few weeks to adjust to life in his apartment. Life without Blazar.

Besides, it wasn't as if he were leaving her home alone for a week. The other New Atlas heroes would be around, and Harper had already planned a movie marathon with Jack and Cassidy.

"Seriously, Harper, start looking into places you want to visit. We'll plan something for the end of summer to celebrate you going back to school." Voice going stern, he added, "Assuming you finish your online classes."

"Yeah, yeah." Harper slammed one of the controller buttons with more force than Julian thought necessary, and the peryton exploded in a shower of rainbow sparks.