31

Nomandla Paris Khumalo

TWO MONTHS LATER!

Last month we had our Izibizo and Umembeso ceremonies. Lifa's uncles had to go ask my family for the go-ahead. Although it happened, I'm still not in a very good space with my family. My mom and sister did try reaching out but I shut them down. We only have to do Umkhehlo and the white wedding now. Umkhehlo will happen on the same day as the white wedding.

My bump is slowly becoming noticeable but mostly when I'm wearing tight outfits. My mother-in-law always makes sure that I wrap a towel or throw a blanket around my stomach, to hide my stomach. Oh and also because it will help with hiding how far I am with my pregnancy. Apparently, that should always remain a secret.

Mama: "Makoti." she lightly pats my back.

Me: "Mah!" I whine. I'm so over this pregnancy really, I never suffered this much with the boys. If I'm not sleeping, I'm hungry and I am also always sick.

Mama: "Come, let me soak your feet." So we have been staying at the rural for some time now.

Lifa: "Will you be able to stand?!" As soon as I hear his voice, I cry. He has been gone for a week for some work conference.

Lifa: "Shhh babe." he brushes my back softly after pulling me into his arms.

Me: "I missed you so much."

Lifa: "I missed you even more sthandwa sami." he kisses my forehead.

Me: "Did you bring my favorite?!" I ask looking into his eyes. He cocks his eyebrow looking confused. He better not try me!

Me: "Ungalinge mina ungiqale Ndlalifa Mhlongo!" I tell him folding my arms.

Lifa: "Okay, remind me your favorite baby so I can be sure that I got the right things."

Me: "How can you not be sure?! Kanti didn't you impregnate me?! Aren't I your wife?!"

Lifa: "Calm down baby."

Me: "Okay. Can you make me a sandwich with plain yogurt and peanut butter?"

Lifa: "Anything for you love." he kisses me and then walks out. MaMhlongo walks in with a basin and a towel hanging on her shoulder.

MaMhlongo: "Let's soak your feet, baby."

*******

Aunty Bee: "Makoti." she greets joyfully. I smile as she takes a seat next to me.

Me: "Sawubona aunty."

Aunty Bee: "I brought you some vegetables from my garden and the pumpkin is for the boys."

Me: "Aww thank you, Aunty."

MaMhlongo: "WeBelinda! What is it ngempela?! Ufunani la?!" my mother-in-law asks her with her hands on her hips.

Aunty Bee: "Aybo makaNkosana kanti is it a problem to want to get to know umakoti?"

MaMhlongo: "Mmhm. Just don't come in here with your voodoos!"

Aunty Bee: "You are insulting me now!"

MaMhlongo: "All I'm saying is that I'm watching all of you." she says signaling for me to follow her.

*******
Lifa: "Come, baby, there's a family meeting downstairs." He helps me wear my shoes before taking my hand and leading me to the living room. My feet look double their actual size.

MaMhlongo: "Come sit next to me makoti." I go sit with her and Bandile climbs on my lap and lays his head on my bosom.

Uncle: "We are here to discuss a way forward for the palace." we all nod listening.

MaKhoza: "As I said before, the future King has been born but isn't of age yet. We had to find a regent who would be handling all the ropes in the meantime. I consulted with oNjomane and they showed me uJabulani. Jabulani will be the regent King until our rightful leader is ready to take his place." Lifa grins looking at his also seemingly happy uncle.

Lifa: "Congratulations baba."

Aunt Linda: "Awume kancane! Jabulani isn't the oldest so how come is he becoming the regent?"

MaKhoza: "For starters, he is the only pure-hearted out of all of you, even his intentions are all pure. He was also chosen because if uNjomane hadn't messed up with the Kingship, Jabulani would've been King."

Uncle Mbhekeni: "Kanti what is your problem, Linda?! Even growing up, ubaba always told us that Jabulani would be King so why are you surprised now?!"

Aunt Linda: "Mxm!" she gets up and leaves.

MaKhoza: "I'd advise that nobody tries anything sinister because of jealousy, it won't end well." she says calmly.

Aunt Bee: "So who is the future King? Is it one of Ndlalifa's boys?" she asks.

MaKhoza: "No, he hasn't been revealed but don't forget that there's also Mhlongo's sons."

Aunt Bee: "Sons?"

MaKhoza: "Yes."

MaMhlongo: "Let's go have some tea ntombi." she says to Makhoza. They both stand up and MaMhlongo stretches out her hand for me. I take it and we walk off to the kitchen.