Chapter 5: A Game Of Dice

Chapter 5:
A Game of Dice

Freya

I tie my hair up into a ponytail and face my reflection in the mirror. You can do this, Freya... I mentally told myself and take a deep breath.

It was our PE time that one afternoon and the whole class is all inside the gymnasium wearing our PE outfit or attire. For the boys, white shirt with the logo of SVA in front and navy blue pants. While the girls have the same white shirt except that we have shorts almost reaching to our knees.

I wear some white colored kneepads in case na madapa ako while Rhea is wearing black tights underneath it. And for the first time, Rhea ties her long black hair into a tight bun.

“Our game for today is Agawan base or stealing bases. The teams are decided. For Team 1!” our PE instructor said as the names are announced and we were all excited for the game. We played it in our childhood so familiar lang sa 'min ang laro.

“—Varquez Freya, Christian, Varquez Isaiah, Mendez, Lennox ...”

“For Team 2, we have Lionhart, Nolan, De Leon, Santos...”

I rolled my eyes when it mentioned that Isaiah is my team mate. But, then it means na kalaban ko si Kaz, pati si Rhea.

“The rules are simple. Each team are given their bases– team 1, your base is that flag pole and team 2, your base is the basketball pole. Assign one member to guard your base. And the other members may run outside their bases to capture their opponents or to steal the other team's base. If a base is stolen then the game is over.”

Each team were now discussing their strategies. I groaned when I look at Rhea. It's never good if she's in the rival team and the game is strategic.

“Okay, here's our plan, watch out for Rhea.” I stepped up as a leader at nakisawsaw si Isaiah.

“Freya's right. But if we focused too much on her, then we might get caught in surprised. Let's just not underestimate or overestimate them too much.”

I nod my head. “Yup. Especially Lionhart.”

“Sinong willing magbantay ng base? It's an important task.” saad ni Christian and they were all silent for a while.

“Ikaw nalang Chris–” saad ni Mio, one of our team.

“Don't call me that. Call me Tian. And no, I'm more fast in running.”

Isaiah volunteered and raise his hand. “I'll guard the base. Kung sino yung mahina tumakbo ay maiiwan rin. But those who are physical, catch as many opponents as possible.”

They all nod their head at that and then, it was decided. I lead the catching team and two of our team mates, aside from Isaiah guards our base– the flag pole. One at the back, one at the side, and Isaiah at the front.

Napatingin ako sa kabilang team. As what I expected, Rhea is one of the people who guards their bases and Kaz is leading the others. We almost got the same tactic but the problem is, what tricks are they up to their sleeves...

“The game begins in three, two, one, start!”

Everyone was tense and was all touching their own bases. Eventually, I bravely move forward. Kaz also did the same.

We have the same equal thirteen teams. So it means that all ten of our each teams are on the hunt and 3 on guard.

I set my gaze on Kaz and focus on him. I saw him smirk and tries to catch me with his hands but I was already surrounded by my other team mates.