47. 𝙖 𝙙𝙖𝙢𝙣 𝙜𝙤𝙤𝙙 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙤𝙣

47. a damn good person

season 2, episode 7: the third polaroid

▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂

Nessa woke up feeling extremely pleased and excited about the day ahead of her, because it was Alex's birthday. Nessa was a huge birthday person; she fucking loved them. She loved her own, she loved her friends', and she especially loved Alex's.

This one was an important one, as there was a brief moment in time where she didn't know if she would be able to have another birthday with Alex. There had been so many things going on in their lives – the trial, physical therapy, mental therapy – that it had been extremely hard on the both of them to find time to spend with each other.

However, Nessa was fully prepared to be completely immersed in the world of her boyfriend today. She got up, and even drove her and Alex to school that day as a treat. She still hated driving, but it was a sacrifice that she had to make to perfect the plan for the surprise that she, Jessica, Zach and Clay had worked on for school.

Alex and her walked into the school, hand in hand as she led Alex down the hallways in the complete opposite direction of their first class, which they had together.

"Aren't we going the wrong way for first period?" Alex asked, confused.

"Eh." Nessa said, trying to contain her excitement. "I thought we'd take the long way today."

The couple rounded the corner and Alex's brows furrowed as he spotted Zach a few paces in front of them, standing awkwardly with a smile on his face.

"Why is Zach waiting for us?" Alex asked, and Nessa giggled beside him. "And why is he smiling like that?"

Nessa looked in front of her to see her twin brother with his arms crossed in front of him, the goofiest grin she had ever seen, on his face as he tried to hide the surprise that they had concocted. Nessa just laughed harder, and Alex was so confused.

"What?" Alex asked Nessa as she kept laughing, refusing any questions.

"Wait, is it your birthday?" Zach asked in a fake surprised voice. "What?"

They rounded the corner, revealing a black and pink banner that was clearly ordered by Jessica and Nessa, that read "Happy Birthday Alex!"

Nessa giggled as Alex stared up at the banner, a goofy grin on his face. She hadn't seen that smile in ages, and it made her happy.

"You guys got a banner made?" Alex asked, grabbing Nessa and wrapping her in a hug.

"It was a group project." Nessa told him. "Jessica and I made the design, Clay ordered it online, and Zach put it up this morning."

"Wow. That's..." Alex looked over at his friends and his girlfriend, who were all smiling back at him. "That's really, really nice, you guys."

Nessa planted a soft kiss on his lips and Jessica gave him a soft side hug as they stood, admiring their work before an agitating, grating voice crept up behind them.

"Aw." Bryce said sarcastically, and Nessa and Jessica both snapped their heads. "Happy birthday, buddy."

Bryce came behind Alex and wrapped an arm around him. Alex just shrunk under his touch, trying to wrestle out of it. "Oh, sweet banner."