one

For the girls who dream of living the rich European summer.

-

The scene is delightful--one mildly large cluster of people laugh together around a long wooden table stretching across the huge dining room. There are fourteen seats in total, neatly set around the rectangular table, but only six are occupied towards the center of the dining table. Each family sat across from one another.

Two families chat away as if the night were young--though, really, it always was when they were rich and successful.

The table was filled with colorful dishes, barely picked into by the group as they continued talking. The quiet air of the manor was instead full of talking amongst, and soft jazz music played from a record player in the corner.

There wasn't a care for the world outside or below. The city of New York was booming with city lights, honking, and noise. Yet for these two families, nothing else existed but this.

A light ringing of a fork against a flute sounded about the room, drawing in everyone's attention to the blonde, middle-aged woman with the delicate and pleasing smile, with a face that embodied grace and youth, despite her middle-agedness.

"I would like to make a formal announcement," she announced, smile widening at the corners.

A man, presumably her husband, rolled his eyes next to her. 

"Here it comes, talks about flowers and nonsense and whatnot." Rich laughter rung around the table as his wife lightly slapped his shoulder. He then waved a hand. "Excuse my interruption. Please, continue."

"I am am very excited to announce that, for this summer's family vacation, we are going to Europe!" The woman beamed. Equally bright smiles matched hers, though not the least surprised.

This was the family's yearly tradition--at least, for the summer, that is--the winter always held yet another family vacation. For a few months, the moms picked a continent to travel to for their trip and planned several excursions in the many, many places they went.

So this announcement did not come as a huge surprise, but it was expected. And it was anticipated, which was enough for the two close families.

"And where might we be going to this time?" Alexandra, the only child of John and Eloise, asked her mother.

"We are going to. . Beth, announce with me," Alexandra's mother gestured for the other mom to stand up with her. Beth stood up and they both looked towards the two dads and their son and daughter, Alexandra and Leo. 

Beth and Eloise cleared their throats, shared a look with a grin, "We are going to Paris. . ."

"And?" The dads and children said awaiting, knowing there was more.

"Monaco. . . and Greece!" The moms finished, embracing each other around the shoulders and turning to look at the reactions of the rest of the family. Thankfully, they all looked pleased, to say the least.

And the rest of the night went as per usual. They ate dinner, sharing rich laughter and smiles. They cleaned up quickly and made their way outside. A movie was projected on the screen in front of the pool. The parents sat at the patio set, and Alexandra and Leo sat together on the sunbed next to their parents.

"Fifty bucks we find out we're leaving in two days," Alexandra looked at Leo with a sly grin. "You know they always plan these trips last minute."

Leo mirrored her grin. "Fifty bucks and a new pair of Louboutins we're leaving tomorrow."

The two chuckled together, leaning closer together as they always had when they were younger. Alexandra and Leo were their best, best friends since birth, Leo being just a few days older than Alexandra. They didn't quite have the relationship that siblings would share, but they weren't quite lovers either.

But Alexandra couldn't fight that fluttering feeling in her chest every time she saw Leo for the past 17 years.

And neither could Leo.

But, deep down, they didn't want to ruin the relationship they had already. They meant too much to the other to make anything different. 

So the two cozied up to each other like clingy children, Alexandra leaning her head on Leo's shoulder as they laid on the sunbed, and Leo's arm resting around her shoulders lightly.

Alongside the sound emitted from the movie, the bubbling waves of the jacuzzi, the chirps of the crickets, and the occasional laughter from the families at the movie made for the more perfect night.

The James family - John, Eloise, and their daughter Alexandra - and the Kent family - Carson, Beth, and their son Leo - were the closest two families could ever be. From childhood friends, the parents were raised together like family, they grew up together, they became successful together, and their bond was too strong to be torn apart.

And this coming summer vacation would be just as it should be; relaxed, unforgettable, and together.