51. 𝙣𝙚𝙨𝙨𝙖 𝙫𝙨. 𝙠𝙖𝙧𝙚𝙣

XX. nessa vs. karen

season 2, episode 9: the missing page

▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂

Nessa sat against Jessica's headboard, leaned back as she shoved some chips into her mouth. After her impromptu visit to Olivia Baker's apartment last night, she wasn't really feeling like going home. She had texted Zach on the way to Jessica's, letting him know she wouldn't be returning home. She didn't even bother texting her mother.

"How are you?" Jessica asked as she flipped through channels on the TV in front of her. Nessa had completely spilled her guts to Jessica last night as soon as they got into her room, telling her all about her mother.

Jessica was pissed.

"I'm okay, I guess." Nessa told her, but it was a complete lie. She was still extremely upset, and that probably wouldn't go away for a while.

Jess looked over at her, still chewing on the chips in her mouth. "It's okay if you're not, Ness. Your mom is fucked up for that."

"Yeah, what's new?" she said through a sigh.

The girls got through at least three movies before Zach started blowing up her phone, letting her know that he couldn't hold their mother off for much longer. After the thirtieth text from her brother begging her to come home, she finally gave in and told him to come pick her up.

"Zach's here." Nessa told Jessica as she gathered her things, which, considering the fact that she hadn't exactly planned on staying here last night, wasn't much.

"You sure you're okay to go home?" Jessica asked her, helping her shove her clothes from last night into her purse.

Nessa shook her head. "No, but I have to face her at some point."

"Well, call me if you need anything." Jessica told her as she gave her a hug. "My dad loves having you here."

"I love being here." Nessa told her. "Thank you, Jess."

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

The silence in the Dempsey house was painful. It was screeching. It was the most uncomfortable feeling that had been in that house since George had passed, and even then, it didn't feel this bad.

Nessa sat at the dining room table, a scowl permanently sitting on her face as Zach sat next to her. Their mother sat across from them, staring down into the table as she waited for someone to speak. No one did.

"Are you going to ignore me forever, Nessa?" Mrs. Dempsey finally asked, her voice sad as she looked up at her daughter, who was completely avoiding her gaze.

"Is that an option?" Nessa said sharply, and Zach gave her a look.

"No." Mrs. Dempsey replied. "I'm your mother."

Nessa thought for a moment, considering what to say and how to say it without getting herself grounded.

"Sure didn't seem like it yesterday, when you chose to believe that Bryce Walker isn't a fucking rapist." Nessa spat. Not her best move, using the word 'fucking' in a sentence to her mother.

"Language." Mrs. Dempsey hissed, and Zach rolled his eyes.

"Seriously, mom?" he said, his voice getting louder. "You completely dismissed the fact that Bryce raped your daughter, but you can get onto her about language? Who's fucking side are you on?"