The Journey Begins

Jada sat cross-legged on her bed, lost in the world of her sketchbook. The dorm room was quiet except for the soft scratch of her pencil as she drew a cartoon character, its exaggerated features coming to life on the page. Just as she was adding the finishing touches, her phone buzzed with a sharp urgency.

She glanced at the screen. It was a text from her sister, Mimi

Mimi: JADA, WHERE ARE YOU? WE'RE GOING TO BE LATE FOR THE BUS THAT'S TAKING US TO THE CAMPING TRIP!

Jada sighed, knowing that Mimi was likely pacing back and forth in the hallway, impatience
written all over her face. Setting her sketchbook aside, she rose from the bed. With a simple flick of her wrist, her hands began to glow with a soft pink, teal, and orange aura. Her pink suitcase and Hello Kitty duffle bag lifted off the floor, floating effortlessly behind her as she headed out the door.

In the hallway, Jada was greeted by the sight of her friends. Mimi, her sister, was tapping her foot, a picture of impatience. Her long goddess braids framed her slightly lighter-skinned face, which bore a resting expression that could only be described as mean—though Jada knew better.

Amani leaned against the wall, her upturned eyes taking in the scene with calm amusement. Her ponytail, perfectly laid edges, and Afrocentric features made her stand out, even in a group as striking as theirs.

Aaliyah, with her dimples and Bohemian braids, was animatedly talking about the contents of her suitcase.

"I'm so excited for this trip," Jada said, unable to hide her grin.

"Me too," Amani chimed in, her eyes twinkling.

Aaliyah lifted her suitcase slightly. "I packed so much stuff. I even brought mousse for my braids—no way I'm letting them look like they're three months old. And don't even get me started on all the skincare I brought."

Mimi clutched a small stuffed animal to her chest. "I brought my comfort things."

Aaliyah raised an eyebrow. "Girl..."

"What?" Mimi shrugged. "I need comfort, bro."

Just then, the principal and chaperone called out, "Alright, everyone, start putting your suitcases and your stuff in the back of the bus, and please take turns."

One by one, they loaded their luggage into the bus. As Jada was about to climb on, she noticed Serena approaching. Serena's long, sleek black hair caught the light, accentuating her sharp, Latina features. She was the kind of girl who turned heads without even trying.

"Hey, girl," Serena greeted with a smile.

"Oh, heyyy," Jada replied, returning the smile as they embraced.

"You excited for this trip?" Jada asked as they pulled apart.

Serena shrugged, a playful glint in her eye. "Not really. I just wanted to go because my man's coming."

"That makes sense," Jada said, nodding.

The principal's voice rose again, instructing the grade 9s to get on the bus. Jada and Amani found seats together, while Mimi and Aaliyah settled in across the aisle.

As the bus roared to life and pulled away, Amani leaned in close to Jada. "I don't know why, but I kinda feel like creating a storm right now."

Jada's eyes widened slightly, then she smirked. "Amani, girl, you better control those storm powers. Things can get a bit crazy if you don't."

Around them, the bus buzzed with chatter. Jada adjusted her black and pink skunk-styled hair into a low bun, checking to see if her edges were still laid. With a flick of her fingers, she created a small mirror using her telekinetic abilities and gave herself a quick once-over.