Casting Calls And New Beginnings

1987

This was the day. From the moment Shayla Iman stepped into the Livewire Gateway Center for her audition she knew her life would change forever. As she looked around at the empty arena imagining a full audience on its feet applauding her....she found herself torn a few ways.

This was, in her mind, the most important audition she would ever get the chance to have in her budding career. Yet, even if things didn't go her way Shayla's heart was bursting at the thought of greeting an old friend she hadn't seen since she was ten years old. Would he remember her? Would he recognize her dark beautiful curly locks and her chestnut eyes? Her hands trembled not knowing what this important day would bring. If anything, she knew one thing was definite...this was going to be one hell of an adventure to remember.

"Ma'am? Hello?" A tall bulky man with dark shades spoke up interrupting her thoughts.

"Yes?" Shayla answered. "You were talking to me?"

"You can't stand here." He pointed behind her as she leaned against the entrance door.

"Oh, God. I'm sorry. Don't mind me, i'm a little nervous."

"It's quite alright." The man laughed. "Are you here for the auditions?"

"Yes Sir, that's right. I am. " She said gleefully as she stepped away from the door.

"Great, i'm part of security here. Would you like me to escort you to the waiting area? The head choreographer is getting ready to speak with you all soon."

"Yes, thank you. Somehow I feel like I could get lost in here."

"Right this way." He responded with a smile.

As the large man led the way she kept looking around in complete awe of her surroundings. Her Mom used to ask her when she was little what she wanted to be when she grew up. When she was 6 and 7 years old it was a princess, from age 10-14 it was an astronaut, and now that she was mature and far wiser she knew she had found her passion in dancing. In that moment...being in that very place, at that very time, all her dreams could be realized maybe even the ones she didn't know she had.

She stood in a room with maybe 30 other women and she couldn't help but feel average and self conscious. The only face she recognized was a gorgeous ebony girl with long flowing dark  locks named Nikita Demarco. She only knew her because they had been on numerous auditions together. Most of the ladies were extremely gorgeous and had the drop dead bombshell look she wished she had.

 If she felt talent would be the main focus for the auditions her nervousness would've melted as soon as she took a glimpse of the stage upon her arrival, but she knew she would be fooling herself. Shayla was more than confident in her ability, but this was an audition for a music video and if there were to be any women featured at all surely they'd have to have a Hollywood type sex appeal about them....something she knew for certain she lacked.

"Alright listen up." A blonde haired skinny man entered the room. "My name is Vince Paterson, and I am the head choreographer for the upcoming Bad Tour and for the short film one of you lucky individuals will be featured in."

Everyone grinned from ear to ear and applauded.

"First off, we're gonna start you on a trial run." Vince went on. "This is not gonna be easy, there's levels to this. Some of you will make it past the trial run and some of you won't. We're gonna get you on stage in groups and if we like what we see then you go through me and learn the choreo. If you can't keep up, you're gone. If you're not up to par, you're gone. We need only the best of the best. Good luck ladies."