𝟬𝟴| 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙤𝙘𝙚𝙖𝙣

THE GENTLE WAVES of the ocean splashed over the warm sand and every time the remaining water from a wave covered her tiny feet, Esmee giggled, a warm sound coming straight from her belly that, with the sound of the waves, was like music to Josy's ...

THE GENTLE WAVES of the ocean splashed over the warm sand and every time the remaining water from a wave covered her tiny feet, Esmee giggled, a warm sound coming straight from her belly that, with the sound of the waves, was like music to Josy's ears.

Happy's arms were wrapped loosely around her as they sat in the sand on a large blanket, their shoes placed next to a basket that Happy had brought. There was nothing the man in whose arms she lay had not thought of.

Drinks, sandwiches, candy and fruit, which Esmee had practically inhaled earlier and still had red marks around her mouth from the strawberries. The one-year-old hadn't really been interested in the other things her father had brought.

At first, Josy couldn't believe that a man who looked like Happy, with that gruff voice and intimidating appearance, could actually be so attentive and loving. But the moment he stood in front of her with flowers, flowers he had picked himself, she no longer had any doubts about the others' statements that Happy had been her great love.

She didn't need any more proof to realize why and whether she had really fallen in love with him back thenᅳ her heart had believed it since last week and with today's visit all remaining doubts disappeared.

"It's so nice, just sitting here and watching her." Completely satisfied and happy, the redhead snuggled closer to his chest, her hands resting on top of his as the sun sank deeper into the oceanᅳ at least that's how it looked like. "You're a really good dad, Happyᅳ and I mean it."

"It is", he croaked against the back of her head as he placed a kiss on her red waves that covered her back, inhaling her scent with his eyes closed as he tightened his grip around her. "I tried my best, like I promised you."

Josy heard the pain in Happy's croak, something that tugged at her heartstrings. Her face twisted in sympathy, she lifted her head back a little and turned it to the side so she could look at him, their lips barely a few inches apart.

"And you did your best", she breathed out, her soft voice still firm and convincing. "No child who doesn't grow up protected and with love looks so happy. The way she looks at you..", Josy shook her head gently, a smile dancing on her lips. "As if you were her whole world, her heroᅳ that's exactly how it should be and I know, deep down, that I would've always wanted something like that for my future children."

"I promised you, little girl. And I keep my promises." His voice was barely louder than a rough whisper, his eyes shimmering with unshed tears before he quickly closed them and let a hand slide to the back of her neck, his forehead resting against hers. "She was all I had leftᅳ and I was all she had left."

Of course he had the club, Gemma and even the Croweaters who had all been willing to step in and help him raise Esmeeᅳ and at first he had needed the help. A newborn while still grieving could drive you mad.

But Esmee, after losing the most important thing besides his daughter, was his support, his rockᅳ and he knew he couldn't leave her alone, not after the girl had already lost her mother.