18. I hate accidents, except when we went from friends to this

The sun was setting over the horizon, casting a warm, golden hue over the sprawling estate where Shubman Gill was getting ready for one of the most significant moments of his life—his engagement to Nithya Kumar. 

The room was buzzing with excitement as his family and closest friends moved about, helping him prepare.

Shubman stood in front of the mirror, adjusting his light pink sherwani. The fabric was smooth and luxurious, a perfect fit for his athletic build. 

The intricate embroidery on the collar and cuffs added a touch of elegance, making him look every bit the prince he felt like today. 

His mind was racing, his heart pounding with anticipation, and he couldn't stop smiling.

"Damn, I can't believe it's finally happening," Shubman muttered to himself, running a hand through his perfectly styled hair. 

He glanced at the reflection of his sister, Shahneel, who was leaning against the doorframe, a teasing smirk on her face.

"You're looking dapper, Shubu," Shahneel said, her voice filled with affection. "Nithya's going to lose her mind when she sees you."

Shubman chuckled, adjusting the collar of his sherwani one last time. "She better, or I'll have to kidnap her all over again."

Shahneel rolled her eyes. "You're already obsessed with her. Poor girl's not gonna have a moment of peace once you put that ring on her finger."

"Damn right," Shubman shot back with a grin, his voice filled with possessive pride. "She's mine, and I'm not letting her out of my sight."

As they spoke, his mother, Keart Gill, entered the room, fussing over the final touches of his outfit. 

"Shubman, stand still! Let me fix this." She adjusted the folds of his dupatta with meticulous care, her eyes misty with emotion. "I can't believe my baby is getting engaged."

"Mom, stop it," Shubman groaned, though he couldn't hide the fond smile on his face. "You're going to make me cry like a goddamn baby."

"Language!" Lakhwinder Gill, his father, scolded gently from the other side of the room, though his stern expression softened as he watched his son. 

"You're a grown man, Shubman. No crying today."

Shubman grinned, his heart swelling with love for his family. "No promises, Dad."

The room was a hive of activity, with Shubman's teammates and their partners mingling, adding to the lively atmosphere. 

Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma were in a corner, laughing at some inside joke, while KL Rahul was adjusting his cufflinks with Athiya Shetty's help, their heads close together. 

Ishan Kishan was joking around with Hardik Pandya, who was playfully scolding him for something, while Natasa, Hardik's wife, looked on with an indulgent smile. 

Rohit Sharma was talking to Shreyas Iyer, who had his arm wrapped around his girlfriend, Trisha, and Ritika was nearby, admiring the decor.

Shubman's eyes darted around, looking for the one person he wanted to see the most—Nithya. His fiancée. His heart. His everything.

"Where the hell is Nithya?" Shubman asked, his voice betraying a mix of excitement and impatience. "She's not getting cold feet, is she?"

"Chill, bro," Hardik said, clapping him on the shoulder. "She's probably just making sure she looks perfect for you. Not that she needs to try."