Chapter Ten - Be My Girlfriend

The gymnasium doors creaked open, framing Coach Tan's silhouette. His booming voice echoed, "Is Lingling still a no-show?"

Milk, Ying, and Orm exchanged a silent, mournful glance before shaking their heads in unison. Coach Tan released a heavy sigh, the air thick with disappointment. "We have one week left before the competition. If Lingling doesn't show up by then, Ying, you'll be acting captain for the interim."

A collective gasp rippled through the room, except for Diana, whose face stretched into a wide, predatory grin. As Ying's eyes met Diana's, a spark of icy understanding crackled between them. Diana offered a knowing smirk, sending a tremor through Ying's tightly clenched fists.

Orm, ever the mediator, piped up, attempting to reason with the coach. "Coach, Lingling just needs a little more time. She lost her mother recently." But Coach Tan, usually receptive to Lingling's needs - she was, after all, his golden player - remained unmoved.

Practice ended, and the tension followed Ying and Diana into a secluded corner. Ying, her voice laced with barely contained fury, yanked Diana's arm into a vice grip. "What did you do?"

Diana winced, her face contorting in pain. "Ow! Let go, you're cutting off circulation! Can't a girl have a little ambition?" she feigned innocence, rubbing the reddening imprint left by Ying's grip.

"Ambition or manipulation?" Ying countered, her voice a low growl. "Ling has always been captain! If she finds out-"

"Spare me the dramatics, Ying," Diana cut her off, a predatory glint in her eyes. "What I did pales in comparison to what you've done to her."

Ying faltered for a moment, a flicker of guilt flickering across her face. Diana's words struck a raw nerve, leaving an unsettling silence.

"Whatever your twisted game is," Ying finally spoke, her voice barely a whisper, "take it back. Lingling's been through enough."

Diana, reveling in the power she held, leaned in close. "You shouldn't have dragged me into this if you weren't ready for the climax, darling," she purred, her breath sending shivers down Ying's spine.

Ying recoiled, a kaleidoscope of emotions swirling within her. "This? All of this? It's barbaric! Lingling lost her father, now her mother, and because she's grieving, they'll just...replace her? She's poured her heart and soul into this since we were kids! How can you be so heartless?"

Diana silenced her with a finger pressed against Ying's lips, her touch sending a jolt of electricity through Ying's body. "Think about it, Ying. This place, this team, it should be yours. Remember when everyone picked her over you? This is your chance to prove them wrong. You were never meant to be a runner-up, darling. You deserve the top spot, and I'll be right here, by your side, every step of the way."

Before Ying could retort, Diana seized the moment, capturing Ying's lips in a heated kiss. The air crackled with unspoken desires and a dark ambition that threatened to consume them both.

Lingling stood outside Orm's apartment building. A pang of longing pulled her there, but she wasn't sure of the reception she'd receive. Lost in thought, she didn't hear Orm's surprised voice calling her name.

"Lingling?" Orm reached out, catching her attention. "What are you doing down here? Come inside."

The scent of alcohol hit Orm as Lingling approached. A sigh escaped Orm's lips. "You've been drinking again. Stay here tonight. You clearly need to rest, and we need to talk."

Gone was the childish girl Orm usually looked after. Tonight, the roles were reversed. Lingling, subdued by the alcohol and seriousness in Orm's voice, simply nodded in agreement.