Chapter 1

"You can't be serious, Ivan" Trying to deny what she heard from her two-year boyfriend, she tries to chuckle.

"You heard it right, Ella. I'm breaking up with you" Without a hint of remorse, the man across from her stared at her straight in the eye.

Meeting his cold gaze, all she can do is open her lips to speak just to close it again after finding no words to say. She is too staggered by the excruciating pain his words caused her.

Her father died a week ago. She is still mourning her loss and Ivan has been her strength. But her world came crashing in front of her very eyes while listening to what he was saying.

"I can't be with you now after your family lost its connection to the Petrov family" he seriously added without averting his gaze away from her.

Seeing the cold indifference reflecting his orbs as he spoke, it was all starting to dawn on her. If not for the pain engulfing her whole being right now, she could have burst out laughing.

Indeed, he is serious and she fully understands where they are going.

Her father, Damien Laskin, was the head of security of Mr. Samael Petrov. The second son of the Petrov Mafia Godfather, Donny Petrov. Petrov's name inflicts fear on every population and everyone seemingly aims to have even a little association with them to feel safe.

Thus, her father's connection with the Petrovs has put the Laskin family on the same pedestal to which the Petrov family belongs. However, with the death of her father in fulfilling his duties, change is inevitable. Everyone, including her, anticipates she will be misplaced after losing the protection from her father's employer.

She was just not expecting the first change would come from Ivan. The guy who promised to take care of her until their hair turned gray.

"I have no use for you and your family" It was rather a realization more than the truth as a snort escape from her.

"Petrov affiliation is vital in this country, you fully know that Ella. You have none. There's no use in continuing what we have" For a fleeting second, he avoided her eyes.

A chuckle erupted as she rested her stiff back on the chair.

"Well, I can't blame you. But I was hoping there's called 'love' between us. Anyway, it's been what? Two years?" a bitter smile graced her lips as the memories of their long years of relationship crossed her mind.

"Love is not enough, Ella" he bowed his head in shame while she watched him with a raised brow.

"Well, it does to me. But it won't change anything. I'm a nobody and your family doesn't want anything to do with me" She shrugged as she picked up her drink with her trembling hand.

While she takes a sip, she tries to collect her emotions. If not for the pride left in her, she could have made a scene. But she won't give Ivan or anyone the pleasure to see her lose her control.

Yes, she felt desolate, disheartened, and dejected, but what could she do? Nothing. As of the moment, she felt lost on what to do. She hasn't heard from her father's employer. She didn't want to entertain her bleak thoughts, however, she couldn't help but feel abandoned.

"You don't have the balls to protect me" she added with a scathing smile.

"How dare you" his head snapped to face her. His cold piercing eyes bore on her but she remained unperturbed. The anger reflected in his eyes did not faze her.

"You don't deserve me" she continues with a bitter smirk.

"I should be the one to tell you that" he countered with a clenched jaw.