moon

Yuqi watched the woman from across space.

She would have to really squint from where she stood, all the way along the burning surface underneath her feet, fire licking up her warping scorched limbs. But she had stolen her mother's looking glasses from deep in the castle, and it allowed her to stand in the palace grounds out of the way. Watching, creepily.

Not really.

She didn't really get to interact with the moon goddess and her people. Or at all, her parents really hated the idea of it, and she just wanted to know what it was like on the moon! She'd heard about the new goddess, after an attack from out of the universe hurt her people and parents on the moon, the daughter was slowly rebuilding it.

That daughter was Soyeon. Gentle footsteps glide through the dusty surface of the moon, sand seals forming slowly and arching through the air with the movement of her hands. Her face looked glum, and body warped against the greying blues of the landscape, but that did nothing to hide the beauty Yuqi swore on seeing.

Her hands flickered, light dancing around the darkened tree branches while she struggled to get a closer look at the girl. Soyeon's head slowly turned, and she swore they locked eyes, and-

"Yuqi!" A voice from below hollered, knocking her focus. In a panic she fumbled to keep the looking glasses stable in her hands, also resulting her in falling backwards and out of the tree. She landed with a hefty oof.

Lifting her head, Yuqi's blonde locks simmered so only gentle flames lit her face. She smiled nervously at her guard. "...h-hey."

He frowned deeply; thick moustache barely able to cover it. "You know what your parents would say."

"I know..." Yuqi whined, heaving in to catch her breath as she rolled onto her back, eyes tracing the other distant stars in the gaping universe. She briefly wondered how many Soyeon had seen. Or explored.

Aodh, her guard, stared at her. "You will need to stop this. Your parents will find out... then what would they say if they knew exactly what this was all about? Some infatuation with a planet's people we cannot talk to?"

Yuqi still struggled to trace back to where things had gone wrong between the two plants. The sun helped, it provided for many other plants and society's, they all needed their warmth. They still provided that for the moon and her people, but why couldn't she interact? She wouldn't hurt that girl if they met. Much.

"I understand," Yuqi still sighed, carefully lifting herself off the ground until she could grasp his arm tightly. "You won't tell my parents?"

Aodh glanced away, surveying his space. They were still alone. He turned back to smile at her gently. "Not yet. Not unless you're in true danger."

Yuqi beamed wider than she had in days. She squealed, immediately dragging Aodh behind her and back towards the yawning towering fortress in front of her. Back into the confines of her home, eyes away from the one woman she'd been latched onto.

☀︎☾

Yuqi crouches on the ground of the castle's barnyard, the only light reflecting off her own skin and against the stark white horse next to her. She held her breath tightly, silently listening for anybody of movement around her.

Her people should be resting now, in the short window that the sun could close its eyes and let their flames regenerate. And she should be too, but now was as better than never if she wanted to take this chance and see her moon.

Her moon?

Silly to call her that, but Yuqi was deeply infatuated with a simple girl forced into a role she clearly didn't want, that all she craved was to hear what she sounded like.