𝟭𝟰: 𝗠𝗬 𝗗𝗔𝗗 𝗜𝗦 𝙉𝙊𝙏 𝗔 𝗚𝗢𝗗

Me and Nat don't talk on the car ride there. We're very good at not talking. Instead, I sit in the back in my booster seat – 'cause I'm still too short to just sit in the normal seat – and I try and think about all the nice stuff that might happen tonight. I get to see my dad again, which makes me feel all tingly inside, and I can keep going with my plan to try and get Nat and Maria together. That's always good.

Also, I like Mr Stark. I think. He's very handsome, says everyone, and very charming, says me, 'cause he always acts like he's not afraid of anything, and it makes him seem very cool.

The other thing about Mr Stark is that he's a lot. I can't describe it, 'cause some things just don't have words invented for them yet, but he's the most woah person I have ever met. He's not that tall – shorter than my dad for sure – but for some reason, he always seems taller in my head. I think it's his personality. Mr Stark is big and bright like a star. Everyone is always looking at him. My dad is much quieter. I like him better though.

So, I guess I'm excited to see Mr Stark too. I think we might be friends. I've met him a few times before, maybe four or five, and he always shakes my hand and winks at me and calls me 'Miss Rogers.' It feels very grown up. I told him before that he can just call me Gracie, but he said that, since I call him Mr Stark, he has to call me Miss Rogers. And I can't just stop calling him Mr Stark. That's how you have to talk to important people. Like Mr Fury.

Mr Fury isn't very similar to Mr Stark, though. I don't think he likes him very much. Then again, Mr Fury doesn't like anyone. Except for Maria, and me sometimes. That's a good number of people. I like Maria too.

I look at Nat while I think about that, and she looks back at me in the rearview mirror. She blows me a kiss. I pretend to catch it. I always do. It's our special secret. Whenever I have to do something I really don't want to do, 'cause I'm scared, she blows me a kiss that I can keep safe in my pocket until it's OK again.

I would blow her one back, but I don't know if she can catch it while she's driving.

Instead, I just stare at her for a really long time in the mirror, until her face doesn't even look like a face anymore. Even so, it's still very pretty. I bet Maria thinks so too.

I just really hope Nat doesn't do anything stupid tonight.

𓆩ꨄ︎𓆪

When we get to the party, Nat is still quiet. She has to hold my hand so I don't get swallowed by a crowd of people by the door, which is very scary, but once we get inside, she lets go of me again and nods at someone coming towards us. She's making a face. An eyebrows-raised-which-means-'wow i think you're stupid'- face.

"Jeez, Rogers, that was quick. What, you been tracking us or something?"

"Nah, the man's just been waiting by the door like a puppy," Sam grins, appearing out of nowhere next to us. He gives my dad a nudge in the ribs, and my dad goes very red and embarrassed. "Try keeping a conversation with someone who looks up every time someone walks in. At a Stark party, too. You're gonna give yourself whiplash, man."

I look down at the floor, and my whole body feels glowy like a firefly. He was waiting for me. These days, I know my dad likes me, but it always feels extra-special when something reminds me of it. It's nice to know that he hasn't changed his mind.

I give my dad a quick, squeezy hug so he can stop being embarrassed about Sam saying stuff, and then I hold on tight to his hand. That's one of my favourite bits about having a dad, now. He has big, warm hands and I get to hold onto him all the time. It's the safest feeling in the whole wide world.