ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱʜᴀᴅᴏᴡ ᴏꜰ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢꜱ

Today was my first day at my new job, and an enormous amount of stress weighed on my shoulders. Despite my ambition and creativity, I couldn't shake the feeling that I wouldn’t last long here. I stood in front of the imposing corporate building, trying to catch my breath. Inside, I noticed a guy with a friendly smile and red curls. His badge showed he was from the department I was joining, and he was likely the one who would show me around.

I took a deep breath, summoned my confidence, and approached him. “Hi, I'm Astra. Are you the one who’s supposed to help me find my way around?”

He grinned. “You know, the name Astra comes from the Greek word 'astron,' which means 'star.' It fits quite well because I’m here to help you navigate this new reality!”

I chuckled and smiled warmly, shaking his offered hand. “Nice to meet you.”

I’m Max,” he said. “Let’s get you settled in.”

Max showed me around the entire building, sharing various interesting facts. He didn’t seem to have many friends, but I liked him. Maybe we would become friends. He showed me my workspace, and I thanked him before diving into my work. As I worked, I noticed a blonde woman watching me. Her intense gaze unsettled me, but I tried to ignore her.

During lunch, I got to know my team better. They shared who to watch out for and who to avoid, the usual office gossip.

Julianna, a girl with colorful hair and a bold style, warned me, “Watch out for Megan. She’s a real piece of work. She thinks she can get a promotion by flirting with the boss. And her friend Lilith is even worse.”

I tried to stay positive. “It can’t be that bad. Surely not everyone here is awful.”

Max, always the nerd with facts, added, “Fun fact: the name Lilith comes from Sumerian mythology and meant ‘night demon.’ Maybe that says something about her friend?”

Jake, a tall, talkative black man who was often employee of the month, laughed. “It definitely suggests that both of them are just taking up space here. We’re the ones who bring in new ideas and try to maintain the company’s good name.”

“Oh, right,” I remembered. “Lilith was staring at me like I’d done something terrible. Do you know what that’s about?”

Julianna sighed. “There were rumors she was supposed to join our team, but neither we nor the boss thought it was a good idea. Thank God you joined us. You seem hardworking and creative, much nicer than some people here. I already like you.”

I smiled, feeling relieved and accepted. Our group seemed like it could be successful. Max, with his love for technology and endless facts, Julianna, with her bold personality and readiness to take on challenges, and Jake, with his friendly demeanor and dedication to work.

A few hours later, I happily finished my first day. I couldn’t wait to tell my mom everything. She was the person I trusted most in my life. My father had been a horrible man who beat us, and my siblings had been my enemies rather than my allies. They moved out when they turned eighteen and never looked back. It had always been just me and my mom, and in recent years, her health had declined. I worked hard to support us both, sometimes changing jobs for better pay.

As I drove home, a smile still lingered from the day's successes. But when I parked the car and entered the house, an eerie silence greeted me. The TV was off, and the quiet was unsettling, especially since my mom never missed her favorite show. My heart pounded as I called out for her, but there was no response. Panic set in as I searched the house, my footsteps echoing in the unnervingly quiet space.

Finally, I found her in the bedroom, lying motionless on the floor. My breath caught in my throat as I knelt beside her, desperately shaking her and calling her name. Her skin was cold and her eyes were closed. I could barely think through the rush of fear. What could have happened? Why was she like this?

As I dialed 911, my mind raced with a thousand questions. Was this a simple accident, or was something more sinister at play? The serene day had taken a horrifying turn, and I was left grappling with the unknown.

What I found next could change everything.