chapter 4: midnight fiction

KIM CHAEWON

It was lunchtime, and I saw Kazuha and Yunjin sitting at a table. I guess Kazuha saw me because she waved me over. I smiled and walked over. "Hey guys" I say casually, setting my bag down on the floor and sitting down.

"I'm so hungry, Yunnie!" Kazuha says, even though she has an empty tray in front of her. "You're always Hungry Zuha" Yunjin says, then chuckles lightly. I sit quietly but listening intently.

I can't lie, Kazuha is really nice. She's sweet and sometimes a bit extra. But she is always smiling, and it's inspiring. I also learned that Kazuha really likes Ballet, and even started doing it. Yunjin has a passion for music and song-writing. It seems they have everything they want to do planned out. And Me? Well I don't know, I really like Fashion and making things.

On the other hand, I really like Animals. I have a dog back home in Korea, his name is Shiro. Cute, small, white and fluffy. My other Best friend, Sakura is taking care of him along with my older sister, Yena. Suddenly, there's a voice.

"Chaewon?" Yunjin says, waving her hand in front of my face. I shake my head, snapping out of my thoughts. "Um yeah?" I say quietly. "You okay? You kinda were frozen there for a minute" Yunjin says, she looks concerned. "Yeah, I'm fine" I say. "Okay, um anyways, me and Zuha were going to go to mall and wondered if you wanted to come" Yunjin says, she looks hopeful, While Kazuha has excitement on her face.

"That's ok" I say. "You don't want to come?" Kazuha says, looking confused. "Not today, maybe another day" I say, looking at my food. Yunjin and Kazuha nod in understanding. I'm not up to go anywhere besides school today. Let's be real, I feel a little homesick. All I wanna do right now is go home.

__

The phone rang a couple times, then Sakura voice came through. "Chaechae! How are you?" She asks. "Good" I say, smiling. I can hear Yena and Shiro playing in the background. "Soooo How's America?" Sakura asks, I knew she wants to know every detail about it. "It's good" I say, I really have been enjoying my time with Yunjin.

"Are the boys cute?" Yena yells from in the background. I chuckle. "Yena, you know I'm not into boys" I say. "Yeah yeah I know, don't have to rub in your gayness ok?" Yena says, in a playful tone.

"Are you settling in ok? Is anyone bullying you?" Sakura asks, her tone shifting from playful to concerned. "Well there's this one girl, her name is Wonyoung. though she isn't bullying me but Yunjin told me to stay away from her" I say, and Sakura seems surprised. "Ooooh Yunjin, Who's Yunjin?" She says, her playful tone coming back, with a hint of slight teasing. "She's who I'm living with" I say.

"Oh I get it" Sakura says. "Is she cute?" Yena immediately asks. I chuckle softly and nod. "I'm not going to lie, she is very pretty" I say, keeping my voice low just incase she might hear me.

"Oooh" Sakura and Yena say in unison. I roll my eyes and shake my head, smiling to myself. "Alright, well we gotta go, Shiro needs a walk" Sakura says. We bid goodbye and I hang up.

I lay on my bed, staring at my ceiling. Then my eyes grow heavy, and I slowly drift off to sleep.

__

"Hey, guys There's this party next Saturday and I think we should go" Kazuha says to both of us. Yunjin beams in excitement. "Yeah! We should go" She says. Yunjin turns to me. "Chaewon, you should come with us" she says, inviting me along. "Yeah, it can be your first party in America" Kazuha agrees.

A party? Well i need good grades and it's a school night. Plus it's very irresponsible to get drunk on a school night. "No thanks" I say. Kazuha frowns. "Aw come on, it'll be fun, and we'll be with you the whole night" Kazuha says, pleading with her eyes.

"Yeah, and you don't have to drink, I'm sure thy have other drinks there like water or soda" Yunjin says. "But it's a school night, and we have homework" I protest. "Pleaseeeeeeeeee" they both say in unison. You know what? I give up. "Ok, fine I'll go" I say, and they grin mischievously. "I promise you won't regret it" Kazuha says, smiling. Yunjin is also smiling. Then she whispers to me. "And don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you" She says, quiet enough for only me to here.

I can't deny, I do feel safe around Yunjin. I nod and we head off to class. I just hope this party isn't too loud.