Starting your story

I constantly get messages daily form people needing help on how to start a story,

Rule number 1 is to never ever have clichés

So, by going off that, the first thing that I like to think about is how is the main girl and the boy of your choice going to meet.

Again, don't use clichés, especially in this part. I usually like to think of unique ways for the boy and girl to meet, some that people never use.

For example, in Treat Me Right, Tegan meets River at the zoo. In The Mill, Mercedes meets J.D. in a mill. In struggle, Annette meets Henry at the laundry mat.

Some of the most common ways and clichés that people use when they meet is usually something along the lines of them being neighbors, them already being best friends and then they, all of a sudden, fall for them out of no where, at a coffee shop, or one of them is the new kid at school.

I will admit, my story Preachers Daughter is a bit cliché because preachers daughters stories are gaining popularity now but it was my first story and I had no idea if it would get any reads at all so I just winged it. But now it's the most popular Corey Haim story and I couldn't thank y'all enough for it.

The second thing is to think of a name for your character. I always use names that are unique and unusual because I feel like if my character has a unique name then she has a unique personality, where as having a blunt name that everyone uses wouldn't be as fun.

I've used Tegan, Brinleigh, Brielle, Hadley, Mercedes, Veda and more, it's just names like that, that make your character stand out.

But the most important thing that these things revolves around is to never use clichés.

(I apologize if someone had used one of the story lines that I listed as "cliché" I don't mean to discriminate your story in any way)