Chapter 9

I look up from the bottom of the hole I've gotten myself into. It's not long before I realize I'm inside a pitch black pit in which the stones pile on top of another, green moss protruding from the edges. When I try to look up, I can only see endless rocks. There's no beginning in this place, just the end, which is we're I'm standing. So I grab my head with my hands, taking sharp turns every few seconds, only to realize that I'm trapped. Alone.

I place my hands in the rocks, trying to look for a way out, but the darkness is swallowing the place, blocking my vision. My eyes wander aimlessly around; I'm doing so many spins, and I feel like fainting. The scenery changes; I see my right hand punching the wall, screaming onto it until a bone breaks, and I wake up.

I hold my bed sheets tight after I sit up and look around. Desk, trash, drawers, closet, bed. This is my bedroom. And I'm fine. My heart pumps hard and fast at the nightmare. I try to breathe for a few minutes until reality sinks in; then I let out a relieved sigh and slump down on the bed, even though the sun is already shining.

"Good morning, love!" Someone's annoying voice says, while flying on top of me, from one end of the bed to the other.

I shush her, frowning. I want to sleep, I want silence, and rest, and numbness.

"I know yesterday was tough, but we can do something different today. Maybe paint outside, eat a greasy breakfast, go grocery shopping..." Daia talks so much that there's a moment when I want to slap her like a mosquitoe, but I dismiss that idea. I don't want to experience an earthquake again.

"Please... silence," I mumble, pressing my head against the pillow.

Daia sighs forcefully. That's when I know I've been testing her patience.

"Aster. Owens. Get up from that bed right now."

I open my eyes and turn around to see her. Although I appreciate her good intentions, yesterday was not only tough; it was draining to the point that my body feels like a dead weight, and I'm not strong enough to hold it up.

"Don't you have to work in Han's store?"

"I'm off today."

"So you're not getting up," Daia crosses her arms, waiting for me to do something.

"I don't have any energy to take on any tasks, ma'am. So if you would be so kind as to let me be," I say, voice rough from sleep and crying.

My fairy protector considers her options while staring at me. She's wearing black pants and a satin navy blue shirt with her usual gold jewelry. I should ask her where she gets her clothes from and where does she goes when she disappears out of nowhere. But that'll have to be another day when I'm not feeling like a chewed gum that was later stepped on multiple times. I think she notices that I look like crap, too—which is exactly how I feel—, because she sighs.

"Okay, but can you at least have breakfast and go to the restroom?" she asks, her little white eyebrows frowning.

I nod, feeling my chest tight at her worry. I don't feel comfortable with people caring about me; at the same time, when Daia pushes me to do small things that will make her less worried, I wonder if the tightness in my chest means that I appreciate it, and don't like to admit it.

Regardless, I comply with her request. I go to the bathroom, wash up, make myself two quick sandwiches, and go back to bed.

When I'm on the verge of falling asleep once again, a light breeze falls on my hair due to close movement. Then, a small hand caresses my head while I drift off. I picture Daia behind me, sitting on top of my pillow in an attempt to comfort me, and a small smile forms in my lips.