𝙼𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙰𝚌𝚚𝚞𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚜

MY STOMACH FELT QUEASY. I tapped the vase of flowers in front of me, fiddling with the flowers and setting them in different orders again and again. I waited for the door to open. And it did, multiple times, but Ryle still didn't come.

I'd decided not to cancel that conversation of mine with him in the end. There were things I still wanted to discuss with him.

"Lily?" someone called out, and I looked around to see Lucy holding her phone in one hand and a rose in the other.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Um, well, you set me and Serena to search for some new locations around Boston for your new...project, hmm? We did, and I found this really great place-"

"Lucy? Can we talk later about this?" I interrupted, because I'd just spotted Ryle enter the shop with a bouquet and a concerned expression. Lucy glanced over too, and her features immediately soured.

"I'll be in the back."

She walked away in a huff and I sighed. Ryle locked eyes with me and tried for a smile. He failed miserably. I gestured for him to come over, and he held out the bouquet.

"A peace offering." he said. I hummed and placed the flowers next to me.

"Looks more like an insult to me, considering I am a florist."

He paled, but I smiled.

"So. I hear you and Amy got engaged." I spoke, pointing at the plain grey ring on his finger. He blushed.

"Um, yeah. That's what I wanted to talk about, i-if you don't mind, of course."

"What about it?"

"Well, I figured you'd have some concerns, obviously. I mean, Amy's going to be around Emmy much more from now on. You might not be okay with that. And with our past and all..."

He didn't complete the thought. I gulped.

"Look, Ryle, I have no problem regarding your marriage, or Amy. She's an amazing person. And Emmy likes her too. Plus, you...well, you deserve to be happy. And I don't want to hold you back."

"This is weird, isn't it?" he muttered, almost to himself.

"It is. But that's okay."

"Do you really mean that?"

I thought for a moment.

"I do." I replied firmly.

"I'm sorry, Lily."

I closed my eyes. My fists clenched too.

"I know it probably won't help, but I'm sorry for making your life this complicated."

"Well, there's nothing we can do about that, can we?"

He didn't say anything.

"You know, when Atlas proposed to me-"

He took a deep breath.

"- it was one of the best days of my life. I'd never been happier. But then I began thinking about all the complications that came along with this relationship and my happiness immediately washed away. I don't want that with you guys. You should enjoy this time, without having to overthink every step. So, you don't...well, you don't have to worry about me causing any problems, okay?"

He gripped the edge of the table so hard hsi knuckles turned white. But then his head lowered into a nod, and I saw that he was smiling subtly. I'll admit I grinned too.

"Thank you. For this. For it all. And I-well, I hope after this, we don't have to be..."

"What?"

"Well, I hope we don't have to be this formal and-"

"Are you asking me to be your friend?"

"No, no. 'Friend' might be too strong a word. But... acquaintances? Who don't wanna kill each other on sight?"

"That's gonna be a little difficult, but I suppose...sure. Acquaintances."

He got up and so did I.

"This was nice." he said.

"Yeah. I guess it was. But let me just remind you, don't you dare order the flower arrangements for the wedding from anywhere else, hmm?"

He laughed. I did, too.

"Of course, Lily Blossom Bloom."

I glared at him and he backed off.

"Goodbye, then."

"Goodbye."

***

"So...where are you taking me?" I asked Lucy as we drove onto the main street.

"It's amazing. A lot of traffic goes by the place too, and it's big enough for the café as well."

"That's pretty good."

"Well, if you'll be opening a new branch for Lily Bloom's, I suppose you'll be needing new employees too, right?"

"Yeah?"

"So I don't think I'll be any more use in the shop."

"What, you're resigning?"

"Oh, no. I just thought you'd fire me yourself."

"Um, so you want to leave?"

"Ugh, like I said, no. But I'm...well. i'm not the best employee when it-"

"You're not going anywhere, Lucy. Don't worry. In fact, I might just promote you to manager."

She whirled around, her eyes shining.

"Really?"

"Or maybe Serena's a better fit. Hmm. I'll have to think."

Her shoulders sagged and I chuckled.

"I was kidding, girl."

"So you are going to promote me?"

"Probably, yeah."

"And that means a pay raise too?"

"Boy, you are so, so greedy."

"And that means-?"

"Yes, you will be getting a pay raise."

"Oh my God, yes. I-I need to tell Alex. I need to-"

"Lord, I am regretting this already."

"So, just to be clear. You're opening a new branch of Lily Bloom's which is both a flower shop and café."

"Right."

"And I'm gonna be the manager."

"Yep."

She looked like she was gonna begin crying. I hadn't told Atlas yet, but I couldn't wait to see the expression on his face when he did. If there was one person who could be more happy about this than I was, it was him.

I sighed contentedly.

Because how much better could things get?

***

I hunched over the sink, vomiting. It had started after I'd come home. I was eating a sandwich when all of a sudden, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. I ignored it for another hour or so, and now I was trying not to drown in disgust as I sat on the bathroom floor. My arms felt like noodles. My stomach kept hurting, though not as much as before. Josh had come to help me but I'd sent him away.

There was nobody else home either.

"Ugh." I groaned.

But then the door opened and I saw Atlas enter. I sighed with relief. But then I looked at his face.

And he did not look happy.

***

Unedited, like always, so excuse my mistakes. I need a good amount of upvotes on this, mind you *please?*

And for those who're wondering, my laptop's broken and I don't have any other device to write on, so the other update might be late. I hope you guys understand <3