Chapter 36

Chapter 36

In the afternoon, during the last class.

Lu Yao remembered he was in class, but when he opened his eyes, he found himself in a transparent, ethereal state, floating in a quiet cemetery.

He frowned, wondering if he was dreaming.

Looking around at the unfamiliar environment, Lu Yao spotted the glowing blue sphere not far behind him.

Since returning to Haishi, Lu Yao hadn't had the precognitive dream again. This was the first time he saw this strange sphere in a dream after coming back.

Lu Yao pressed his lips into a thin line and said with a hint of impatience, "What exactly are you trying to do with all this mystery?"

The sphere flickered with blue light and suddenly floated to a tombstone.

Lu Yao followed and saw the photo on the tombstone, stunned. Was this his tombstone?

"Knock! Knock——"

Hearing footsteps nearby, Lu Yao looked to the side and murmured, "Mom."

From Mrs. Li's reaction, Lu Yao realized that others couldn't see him now.

Mrs. Li, dressed in a black suit and holding a bouquet of white chrysanthemums, walked to the tombstone.

Seeing that there were already two bouquets of fresh flowers at the tombstone, she muttered to herself, "Have they already been here?"

Today was Lu Yao's death anniversary.

Lu Yao's eyes showed a hint of confusion.

"Who are they?" he wondered. Were they referring to Lu Qi and his father? Why did they come separately instead of together?

Mrs. Li carefully placed the white chrysanthemums in front of the tombstone, gently touched Lu Yao's photo on the tombstone, and forced a bitter smile, her voice tinged with sorrow.

"Do you think I'm a failure as a mother? Even now, I still don't know what flowers you like. This year, I picked white chrysanthemums for you. If Xiao Yao doesn't like them, remember to tell me in a dream, okay? I really want to see you again."

She paused, biting her lip, struggling to hold back her tears. "Have you... not looked at me even once because... you hate me?"

Her head hung low, tears began to stream down her cheeks, drop by drop.

After a long time, her voice trembled as she cried uncontrollably, "I'm... I'm sorry... I shouldn't have lost you again. It was my fault."

Lu Yao was stunned. It was the first time he had seen Mrs. Li show such vulnerability.

After a long while, she shakily stood up and gazed deeply at the tombstone, as if trying to engrave the boy's features from the photo into her memory.

When she turned to leave, she saw Lu Qi, also dressed in black, holding a bouquet of flowers standing not far away.

Following Mrs. Li's gaze, Lu Yao noticed Lu Qi's presence.

The Lu Qi before him seemed to exude a chill, much more mature and cold than the bumbling older brother he had known.

Seeing Lu Qi, Mrs. Li's eyes showed a complex mix of emotions but ultimately turned into indifference and disregard.

As Mrs. Li walked past Lu Qi with a cold expression, Lu Qi suddenly called out hoarsely, "Mom."

This was their first meeting since Lu Yao's funeral.

After Lu Yao's death, the Lu family underwent drastic changes. Mrs. Li chose to divorce Lu's father and moved alone to a small city in the mountains.