1

Educated, quiet, helpful, respectful, and loving: these were the pillars of the perfect woman according to traditional teaching. To be honest, I didn't oppose this, as it was what we had always been taught. A woman's value was measured by her ability to build a healthy and happy home. I never felt trapped by social norms; my family instilled in me respect but also self-confidence. However, there are events one never expects to happen, but the world and destiny shape the future for all of us.

The Qin dynasty had reached its peak by conquering and civilizing numerous feudal territories. The legalist principle that guided this new dynasty caught the attention of its citizens, as it emphasized the importance of political, scientific, and philosophical principles that ushered in a new era. Despite the competition for cultural influence in the country after the conquest of vast territories, life was good. Raised within the bureaucracy, I belonged to the Xiao family, a family with a long bureaucratic tradition. I never experienced despair or scarcity; my parents always ensured my well-being and education.

From a young age, I was educated in etiquette and the art of tea, but my thirst for knowledge went beyond that. My parents encouraged my education, although it was uncommon for bourgeois women to achieve a high level of education. Despite social restrictions, I was able to study philosophy and economics. When I was ten years old, my older brother, who was fourteen, began studying the art of war and strategy. Whenever he learned something, I did too, thus challenging gender expectations. At fourteen, my fascination with military strategies sparked a strong curiosity in me.
Although it was illegal for a woman to learn such subjects, my brother had no qualms about teaching me, thinking I wasn't paying attention. However, my interest grew over time, and I began to study in secret on my own. I never had a concrete goal; it was more of a hobby that I kept hidden, aware of the consequences of defying established laws.

It all began that day. By law, noble barons are trained in the art of war and strategy from the age of 15. At 18, upon reaching adulthood, they must go to war in honor of their people and their family. However, this was not a major concern for young nobles, as they knew it was a political strategy to appease the commoners, who were forced to give their lives in war. Young nobles destined for war were usually assigned basic and low-risk tasks to avoid noble bloodshed. My brother Tao, who belonged to our noble family, was no exception.

When I was 14, my brother turned 18 and left to serve the nation. His task was to participate as a second strategist in a small war against northern bandits. He was to serve for two years, after which he would return to work as a scholar for the empire. I don't want to boast, but my brother was the most intelligent person I knew. He performed incredibly difficult calculations in seconds, loved to talk about politics, and had learned to communicate in the languages of distant peoples. He understood me like no one else had; he taught me from a young age about astronomy and calculus. He didn't care if I was allowed to learn or not, he always said that to achieve progress, we all had to know the future. Although I still don't fully understand his words, they still resonate with me.

A year after he left, the news arrived. My dear brother and only baron son of our family had perished in a surprise attack by bandits on the strategy squad. And I... I didn't understand. Why didn't he manage to return like the other young nobles? The loss of my brother made our family vulnerable to others' attempts to gain more power. It was my mother, my grandmother, my older sister, my father, and me. My father kept us united and educated us as best he could. We weren't the most privileged family, but we lived well being together.