Part 1

1

It had been raining constantly in City A lately.

The drizzle was just like on the day I died.

Bai Xi stood on the podium, his uniform crisp and his demeanor high-spirited.

"Captain Bai is amazing."

The officers beside me looked at Bai Xi with eyes full of admiration.

I also directed my gaze towards Bai Xi and casually asked, "Is he really amazing?"

The officer immediately withdrew his gaze, looking at me with displeasure:

"This is a First-Class Merit, there aren't many awarded in the whole city in a year, how can he not be amazing?"

"Moreover, this was earned by Captain Bai risking his life to eradicate the largest mafia group in the city, how can he not be amazing?"

Eradicate the largest mafia group in the city...

The image of Bai Xi holding a gun to my head before I died flashed before my eyes.

At that time, I looked up and smiled, asking him:

"Officer Bai, do you like the First-Class Merit I gave you?"

And he left me with nothing but the sound of a cold gunshot.

Ruthless and unfeeling.

Getting shot in the head actually hurt quite a bit.

But indeed, I did give him a First-Class Merit.

I bit down on the candy in my mouth, strawberry-flavored, the sweetness spreading, and I smiled:

"Yeah, he is quite amazing."

2

After the award ceremony, Bai Xi called me into the office.

He sat behind the desk, holding a file and asking me questions.

A band-aid was stuck on his forehead, the wound from the gunfight that day had yet to heal.

His cheeks were slightly sunken, he had lost a lot of weight.

His face stern, fatigue etched between his brows.

He was different from the Bai Xi in my memory.

"Were you listening?"

His clear voice held no emotion.

"Oh, yes." I came back to my senses and replied.

"Jiang Xiao Chen, graduated from City A Police Academy, and was an outstanding graduate at that?"

I nodded: "Yes."

Then I saw Bai Xi close the file in his hand and look up at me:

"I happen to be short of a partner, would you be willing to come and follow me?"

Our eyes met; this was the first time we had looked at each other since my reincarnation.

He was smiling.

In my previous life, I exhausted all my efforts, risking my life to please him, but he never smiled at me, only told me to get lost.

But now, just standing here as a nobody, I could earn his smile.

What a joke.

"No, I'm not willing."

Bai Xi was stunned: "Why?"

Because of this.

Because of that.

Because I like you.

Just standing by your side, I only think of you.

It affects my work.

"Because my experience was still limited, I needed to continue honing my skills for a while longer. I didn't want to hold Officer Bai back."

I looked down at Bai Xi, giving my excuse without blinking, making it sound dignified.

"Don't worry."

But the smile in his eyes deepened,

"The largest mafia group in the city was eradicated recently, most of the upcoming work is just wrapping up, you can follow me to handle it, and gain some experience."

Oh.

So, in my past life, I was eradicated to leave an opportunity for myself in this life.

3

"Isn't it good to follow Captain Bai? Jiang Xiao Chen, I really don't understand you. If I had this opportunity, I wouldn't let it go for anything."

Zhang Da Yong was the partner Bai Xi assigned to me after I refused Bai Xi.

A burly, muscular guy.

Jiang Xiao Chen, Zhang Da Yong.

Names that sounded like they belonged to nobodies.

I dug into my ear and continued looking at the map in my hand:

"Why do I have to follow him?"

"Because Captain Bai is amazing!" Zhang Da Yong immediately turned to look at me. "A First-Class Merit recipient, capable of dismantling a crime syndicate single-handedly, with both intelligence and combat skills!"

After saying that, he leaned closer to me,

"Moreover, Captain Bai is righteous, kind, considerate, and handsome. Being his partner not only improves your case-solving abilities but also offers visual enjoyment."

I didn't answer him but instead asked, "Am I not handsome?"

"You are." Zhang Da Yong nodded, "But not as handsome as Captain Bai."

I said, "So you should thank me."

"Thank you for what?"

I finally put down the map and looked up.

Imitating the smile Bai Xi used to give, I looked at him and smiled:

"Thank me for sacrificing my own visual enjoyment to fulfill yours."

...

Zhang Da Yong's muscles were genuinely tough.

Being punched a few times by him really hurt.

But when I had him in a wrist lock and pinned to the ground,

He should have been in more pain.

In the end, when I released him, he rubbed his shoulder and persistently asked me,

"Jiang Xiao Chen, do you really not like Captain Bai? You don't want to be his partner?"

"I like him."

The words slipped out as if by muscle memory.

I paused in the act of brushing off the dust.

In my mind, the image of Bai Xi shooting me in the head from my past life flashed by.

So I turned and smiled at him, adding,

"I like him to death."

So I died.