Chapter 1. Escape

He thudded a hand to his chest, his heart raced with panicked anticipation as footsteps approached his location. His other hand moved to slap the mask covering his mouth, attempting to hush the sounds that escaped. The dark corner in which he'd chosen to hide wasn't good enough, he was going to be found! A girl popped her head round the corner, tilted in a playful way causing him to flinch in fear. "Hey there", she said sweetly while holding out a hand, "you wanna escape?"

One hour earlier...

"Professor Hauer, we've finished going through the bloodwork of all the candidates you put forward to be tested for the red gene". Hauer had his back to the scientist who had entered, "yes, and...?" "Sir... we found one". The professor raised his head suddenly ignoring the vials in front of him and glanced back, "who?" He watched the scientist approach and took the clipboard handed to him reading the profile on the front, "Koza... are you certain? This boy already has an ability". "There is no mistaking it sir". "I'll be the judge of that, get me his sample I'll double check it myself". "Right away professor", the scientist bowed his head then scurried out of the office almost bumping into a young woman who had been eavesdropping, "oop! I'm so sorry Jaicee, I didn't see you there". "It's all good Ed... so what's father doing?" "Best not to disturb him right now... his running through some important work". "You said something about red jeans?" He opened his mouth to speak and chuckled nervously instead, "I really... have to get back to my work, maybe we'll talk another time", he rushed away from her making her huff and slouch. She entered the office sneaking towards her father who was facing the vials reading the information on the boys profile, "Jaicee, I'm working". "Oh! How did you know I was there!?" He glanced at her and smiled, "when do I ever not?" "It's not fair... you say you don't have a power yet you sense people like some sort of psychic!" She crossed her arms as he approached, looking at the blue messy hair buns on her head, "you've changed your hairstyle". "Do you like it?" "It suits you very well", she beamed up at him with her white blue eyes and straightened her navy-blue, round glasses, "dad, I wanted to ask you something?" "Oh?" She twiddled her thumbs, "well I was wondering when we can go out again, just the two of us". Hauer sighed, "you know I have work to do Jaicee and I'm extremely close to a breakthrough", he turned away heading to his computer and sitting down at his desk, "soon, very soon... you and all children like you, will be cured. I've been entrusted with the lives of thousands, I must complete my work". "Cured?" Jaicee tilted her head, "you act like being born with a power is a disease, but it doesn't spread and I've never hurt anyone-" He faced her, "powers can hurt people in different ways, just think about your mother after your accident..." Jaicee slouched, "but... that wasn't my fault..." "I know, she couldn't handle it and felt she had to leave. But I stayed to help you and others like you", he put his hands on her shoulders, "there are many other kids here that have been hurt by their families just for being born with an ability, you were one of the lucky ones". She glanced at the clipboard, "I'm not a kid dad, I'm twenty one". "You are still a child, you haven't experienced the world, in my eyes you'll always be my little girl". She smiled at him unable to peel her curiosity from the boy on the page. He had one icy blue eye, the other was closed with a large amount of scarring around it, and he was wearing a mask over his mouth and nose, "who is that?" Hauer followed her gaze then used various other papers to cover the profile, "just another boy affected". "Is he... missing an eye?" Hauer gave a sad sigh, "as I said before some were hurt by their families, now run along Jaicee, isn't it lunch time?" He looked at his watch and turned to his computer. Jaicee bit her lip staring at the pile of papers on top of the clipboard, and suddenly she had an idea, "hey dad do you think Ed would have lunch with me?" Hauer raised his brows looking at her once again, "I wasn't aware that you and Ed were close..." Jaicee made a face, "we're just friends! I don't want to eat alone and you seem pretty busy". "He is busy as well". "Come on daaaaad... just one lunch, he looked a little overworked". Hauer nodded, "very well, let me know if you both decide to pursue past your relationship as friends, that way I can kill the thirty year old before he can touch you". Jaicee chuckled, "geez dad...! See you later!" He watched her rush from the office and frowned, uncovering the clipboard and staring in thought.