Heterochromia

HETEROCHROMIA

“Haha!”

The school hallways boomed with the laughter and chattering of students.

“Ugh.” A girl rolled her eyes. “How disgusting.. It's her.” Students looked over to the direction of where the girl was pointing.

Jet black, shoulder-length locks swayed from side to side as a young girl walked down the middle of the hall, every person skirting towards the lockers. From the corners of her cerulean and hazel eyes, students were showering the girl with disgusted looks.

“Look at her, acting like she owns the school. No wonder she has no friends. I bet she bought contacts but just couldn't afford the second one!” Students burst into laughter at the snide remark.

The girl narrowed her mismatched-colored eyes in sorrow.

“Look! She's glaring!” The students burst into an even stronger amount of laughter.

Tears began welling up.

“She's so abnormal. I bet her family doesn't even like her.”

As tears threatened to pour out, the girl darted down the hall in defeat, earning rowdy laughter from every student in the hall.

“Katherin!” A voice boomed with anger as the door to her room was slammed open. “Who said you could lazy around? GET UP AND WORK, YOU USELESS CHILD!” Katherin was suddenly pulled by her hair, causing her to fall back onto the hard, cold floor. She resisted the urge to cry out in pain as her father dragged her across the floor and into the kitchen. Weakly, Katherin stood up to wash the dishes as her father walked away to talk with her mother. She could faintly hear the conversation between her parents talking about how much of a nuisance she was.

“She's the only disappointment in this family.”

Katherin's tears welled up once again in her tear ducts as she attempted to blink the tears away. Suddenly, the tears all poured out, betraying her wishes and flooding the sink with the mix of water, soap, and freshly shed tears.

Looking over to her parents' conversation, she saw them staying the same color as they are. They had not turned pale white, signaling to her that they were all telling the truth.

It was a side effect from her unusual heterochromia iridium. The side effect was her seeing the truth; knowing who is lying and who is not. Whenever a person lied, Katherin would unwillingly see the person's entire body turn completely white, the palest white she had ever laid her eyes on, a color neither of her parents had become. This effected her greatly, knowing that her parents truly hate her.

The girl cried even further as she realized that everyone had also forgotten something that occurs only once a year.

They have all forgotten my birthday..

Chapter 1

DRIP. DRIP. DRIP.

The very night of Katherin Parker's 13th birthday, Katherin had celebrated it outside, alone. Clouded breaths escaped the teen's mouth as she attempted to warm herself.

In the distance, a small cardboard box rested on the concrete next to the brick wall of a shop in an alleyway. Rain poured everywhere, soaking the contents of the box and the box itself. The box looked intriguing, causing Katherin to cautiously walk towards the box, examining every detail as if she were a detective.

Laying in the shadows, a teddy bear with fur colored in golden brown was drenched in the heavy rain.

“Ah! A teddy bear!” Despite her age, Katherin childishly swooped the teddy bear up into a warm embrace.