Chapter 10

What I want most right now is to go to my apartment and lay down in bed, as I've been doing the last couple of days. Instead, I'm sitting in the living room's black couches. It's important to highlight they're Evan's couches. Turns out Daia is, in fact, angrier than I am at his lies. We both are sitting on one of the couches, while Rupert and Evan sit in front. My fairy protector doesn't take her gaze away from either.

"Do you have anything to say, Evan?" she says, arms crossed in a defiant posture.

Evan tries to look for my gaze, like a sad puppy that's in trouble, but Daia snaps.

"Do not look at her, you traitor. I trusted you." She puts her hand in her chest like it's the worst thing he could've done.

"Daia," I reprimand, and she shushes me. I roll my eyes in response.

"I'm sorry, really, I didn't mean..."

"You lied. So don't come up at me with that." She points at him angrily. Evan tries to become smaller.

"I told him this would be an issue sooner or later, but he's stubborn," says Rupert, articulating each word slowly.

Daia's gaze moves toward him in less than a second.

"Did he make you hide all this time?"

"Yes," he answers, then he shrugs. I can't help but notice the difference from the little red-head fairy that seems so calm, even with this fuss, and my own fairy.

I yelp when she lets out an offended laugh and yells at Evan, "You asshole."

The three of us jump on our seats.

A smile creeps up my lips, but I try to hide it. Evan starts to explain himself and apologizes multiple times; it's not of much use because Daia's expression doesn't change.

Meanwhile, Rupert listens and watches us without muttering a single word. His beard covers his mouth, so I'm not sure if he's smiling like I am; I can bet he's amused, though.

Our eyes connect, and that's all I need to confirm it.

"Like I said, I wanted to tell Aster, and you Daia, of course. But it's easier said than done; no one knows about it, except Han." Evan's eyes move toward my face, and his body leans in my direction like he wants me to listen. I press my hand onto my knee, which is moving up and down, up and down.

"I know it was not fair because I knew of your fairy protector. I just don't like to talk about it that much... you should understand, Aster," he says. I'm almost able to watch the waves of his soft voice travel until they reach my ears, caressing me gently.

I drop my gaze, not sure what to say or do. I was so mad a few minutes ago, but after all, he's right. I didn't want anyone to know about my having a fairy protector; I get why he didn't tell me about his. The only thing that is now pulsing in my head is a question I want to ask, even though I have no right to.

Why does he have one?

Has he tried... to hurt himself?

Now, when I look at him, I have an odd impulse of wanting to hug him. I don't get it. I'm not a physical contact person; regardless, while my eyes wander around his soft features, and his strong hands, and his regretful expression, I realize this need comes from worry.

"It's okay," I  mutter under my breath. Daia squeals, but I send her a look that makes her quiet. "You don't owe me anything, Evan. And I do understand."

Evan frowns at me, playing with his hands on his lap.

"You're not mad anymore?" he asks, and I smile at him. As unusual as it is, I smile at this man who just had a panic attack but is worried that I'm angry at him.