The Last Call

The private jet hummed softly as it sliced through the endless sea of clouds. William Oxford sat in his plush leather seat, the sleek tablet in his hand displaying a cascade of emails, but his mind was miles away. His thoughts lingered on Alexa, replaying the sound of her laughter, the way her eyes sparkled like stars when she saw him, and the delicate, almost musical tone of her voice when she whispered his name.

Unable to resist the longing in his heart, he picked up his phone and dialed her number. She answered on the second ring, her voice a gentle melody that instantly soothed him.

"William? Shouldn't you be focusing on your flight?" Alexa teased, though he could hear the soft undercurrent of concern in her voice.

"I can't help it," William replied, his voice uncharacteristically tender, almost vulnerable. "I just needed to hear you. I’ve been thinking about you the entire time. I miss you more than I can put into words."

"You're supposed to be the practical one," she said, her voice softening, "not the romantic."

"When it comes to you, I lose all sense of practicality," William confessed. "I can't wait to hold you again. As soon as I’m back, let’s disappear together—just the two of us. Somewhere far away, where nothing else matters but us."

"That sounds perfect," Alexa whispered, her voice carrying the warmth of a promise. "I love you, William. More than anything."

"I love you more, Alexa," he breathed, his heart full in a way he hadn’t known was possible. "Always."

They lingered on the line for a moment, neither wanting to hang up. But just as William opened his mouth to say something more, the plane shuddered violently. His phone slipped from his grasp as alarms blared through the cabin, cutting through the serene atmosphere like a knife.

Panic gripped him as the aircraft lurched, losing altitude with terrifying speed. He barely registered the pilot’s frantic voice crackling over the intercom, "Brace for impact!"

And then, everything went black.